My Report: ITS BAD. VERY BAD. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My Report: ITS BAD. VERY BAD.

Well talk about your terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days...

I crawled beneath the SHO this afternoon in the nice 90 degree weather and found very bad news. In addition to the hole that I was hoping to patch in the transmission case, there is a crack in the case that runs nearly the entire length of the transmission from the said hole. Its a total loss for a JB repair...it will bust open under normal stress or pushing it. God...the prospect of pulling that transmission out and either rebuilding it, or putting in another one is has got me bummed out.

From what I read in the manual, you have to unbolt the exhaust system, tie rods, rack, wheels, CV's, and lastly the engine. Wow what a job!

If there is anyone in the Cleveland Ohio area that has the expertise in removing and replacing a Taurus transmission, I could sure use a coach, a good deal, or both. I have $850 in the vehicle itself with a good title if anyone is interested. I don't have the equipment or garage to do this job the right way, but it is a solid vehicle with a high performance engine that would make a fun ride. PM me if you know a good tranny guy or gal in Cleveland, or if you're interested in making me an offer. Definitely a bummer.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I still don't understand how you managed to get a hole in this thing... make sure there's no recall for this sort of thing, you may well be out of this whole mess for the low low price of $0000000000 dollars!!! Go to ford, search the net, talk to people. Even if it is a ford it shouldn't have a hole in the transimission-

K
Old 06-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

Killer...

Yes. Thats an avenue I'm working on. I wrote to a local dealership about the problem but they haven't responded yet. But you are right 100%. If you are not abusing a vehicle, there is no way the transmission case should crack. Since the transmission operates perfectly, its easy to see that it wasn't abused.

How did it happen? It looks like two stress cracks formed near the planetary gears. The lateral crack travels along the length of the transmission. I'm guessing the vertical crack met the lateral crack, and something as simple as hitting a chuckhole probably caused the chunk to fly off. Meanwhile, the lateral crack keeps "walking" down to the end of the opposite side where it will meet with the vertical (tranny pump) pan opening. There will then be a fault from one side to the other.

This is not something that is supposed to happen, so it has to be a defect in either the casting, pouring, or cooling. I am planning to make an argument to Ford about it.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

... others can strengthen your stand! They will likely do nothing about it if you're alone, but get a few people online talking about bad trannys in Tauruses, and you're likely to stir something up!

I heard about somebody doing this a while back... I think it was for a dodge minivan. It had a problem with something, think probably (knowing dodge minivans) it was teh trans. He somehow got enough people to gripe about it and the dealership replaced his trans fo free!!! Oh yeah it was somethign I googled, think maybe I found the link to the google on this site too. It was this page where people griped about dodge's different models and what crap transmissions they had.

If this is a fluke problem, you'll probably have to tear it down yourself. Perhaps you can take the guts out of the trans and have the shell inspected by a trans shop, get an expert opinion on why this part failed.

You need some ammo man-

K
Old 06-10-2004, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

M&M Custom has a pic in his gallery that shows the results of a neutral tranny drop. It looks pretty much like the same thing you just explained. I hope it's not the same though, because if it is, they'll tell you it was damaged by the owner.

If it was like that when they guy sold it to you, at least he could have told you WHY the price was so low for he car. Or maybe he could just use a good knuckle sandwich.

Sorry to hear the crappy news Native. I've dropped/installed/dropped/installed my C5 in my mustang about 4 times now. I can do either in about an hour now I'm getting so good at it. That's not something I'm really proud of considering I'd rather NOT have to, but man . . . . . I feel for ya. I can't imagine doing a FWD by myself. Good luck if you take it on yourself.

BTW, what type of tranny is it? There are a few FWD's in my haynes manual with instructions on how-to. Pick one up at AZ if you want to tackle it. Ford Automatic Transmission Manual

Lemme know what you have and I'll make sure it's in there.

MoocH
Old 06-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

It's a taurus.....

GET RID OF IT!

Tauruses are known for tons of transmissions problems, it's NOT worth repairing.

If it's an SHO from the 80's then trade it for an 80's mustang.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 87442lover
It's a taurus.....

GET RID OF IT!

Tauruses are known for tons of transmissions problems, it's NOT worth repairing.

If it's an SHO from the 80's then trade it for an 80's mustang.
Wow you know that is some of the most intelligent advice I've ever had here at hotrodders.com. You must be some kind of gaal-dam genius or something. I sure wish I had thought of that.

To MoocH...

The guy who sold it to me DID tell me it had a leak in the transmission, and when he had it looked at, the shop told him it had something to do with planetary gears, and that he would need to have it rebuilt. He was being honest for sure.

The transmission is a AXOD-E and I don't think its covered in your manual. I still haven't made up my mind about fixing it yet, because it will be one whale of a job, but it will also be a real learning experience. Its just that it will take a long time.

It is a limited production vehicle, and it draws a pretty good resale price...and its also factory hi-performance. So it has potential. Regarding what I paid for it, and what I figured would be a transmission rebuild, I'll still be in good shape if I do the rebuild or replace...I just didn't think it would be that complicated. The FWD Dodge I drive is not near as complciated to pull out and replace.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

sho

no its not a recall issue....
the tranny case didn't just crack from a defect after many years in the car. more likely than not rear end failure is the cause or someone wacked something in the road. any thing with moving parts can fail not all are just plain poor design. all car company's have their share of failure with transmission's and thank god they do some of us need employment.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:11 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

You maybe better off having someone do the job for you, I only say this because of the amount of parts you have to remove, that way if something gets broken or damaged it doesn't fall back on you to repair ontop of what your paying for the tranny. But if your going to do it yourself and you plan on using drive on ramps, BE SURE to block the back wheels, i knew a kid that was removing a tranny from a blazer on drive on ramps and as soon as he disconnected the driveshaft all the pressure from it being in park was released and the blazer rolled on top of him, he was ok though. Just be sure to weigh out your options. Good luck to you native gearhead
Old 06-10-2004, 07:42 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

hey dumbasses, ford knows that the trannys in the sho tauruses, and for that matter, any taurus, sucks. get over it. chevy finally did right by the camaro didn't they? you don't hear me bringing that up everytime you turn around.

you put a tranny rated for X amount of horsepower behind a motor rated for X2 amount of power, and your gonna have problems. not like you'd ever see a chevy break a tranny due to an overly potent motor anyway huh.......

talk about penis envy.........

this does not apply to all bowtie fans, just the ****** ones.

Joseph, i took my taurus in for it's first tranny rebuild, simply due to the fact, it was beyond me. or so i thought. the next time it blows, if it does, and it most likely will, i'll do it myself. thats how uncomplicated it turned out to be....... (removal and reinstall) (not sure about my skill on the actual rebuild.)
but keep in mind, mines not an SHO.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Good lord Larry unbunch your panties! When did this become a ford-chevy issue? WE all just call them like we see them. I'm a mopar man, but I'll be the first to admit the best change you could make to a recently built mopar is put a chevy or ford transmission behind the motor!

K
Old 06-10-2004, 10:57 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

damn thong.

i didn't bring up mopar, you know how those guys are......
Old 09-21-2004, 10:30 AM

I had a friend who owned a taurus years back. and the damn thing was always in the shop for repairs. he had that transmission rebuilt 2 times before he got rid of it.
Good luck native with this all i know how frustrating it can be... i have a 89 ford ranger and i have a square hole on the side of my transmission caseing, looks as if something belongs there. not sure what im gonna do about it yet. runs and looks too good to get rid of. and yet the slave cylindar is going out lol right now all i can do is keep searching for parts lol

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.