Are my ring and pinion still ok? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Are my ring and pinion still ok?

so the other day got off the highway and went made a turn then went to accelerate and my carrier assembly came apart. My dad told me that I have to swap the ring and pinion because there are some scratches on the teeth. What do you guys think?
This is what I scooped out of the bottom of the diff

these are the worst teeth on the ring gear. The pinion looks good still

I just put this ring and pinion in about 1200-1500miles ago so I would hate to have to replace them already. Its a Richmond 3.73 gear set but stock everything else including the posi unit and axles. It should only be making like 320hp at the crank are the carrier assemblies really this weak?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 AM
done learning, done living

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how did you change the ring and pinion? how did you make sure everything was aligned correctly? Did you just install the shims the same way you took them out?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
how did you change the ring and pinion? how did you make sure everything was aligned correctly? Did you just install the shims the same way you took them out?
I got the kit from richmond and followed all their instructions. I used the yellow paste to check the ring contact depth. I ended up adding shims to one side and subtracting them to the other cause the contact area was not as deep as they wanted.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
I would get new ones, I can't tell a lot looking at the pictures but the tooth with the chip in would worry me, not the chip it's self but what might have happened to the rest of the tooth, is it cracked where I can't see? I assume your going to purchase a new posi unit, that's around $400. another $200 for piece of mind seams OK to me.
Take care,
Rich
Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Hi,
I would get new ones, I can't tell a lot looking at the pictures but the tooth with the chip in would worry me, not the chip it's self but what might have happened to the rest of the tooth, is it cracked where I can't see? I assume your going to purchase a new posi unit, that's around $400. another $200 for piece of mind seams OK to me.
Take care,
Rich
There aren't any chips just a couple burrs. I figured I would upgrade to a 28 spline Eaton carrier and some new axles while I have it apart
Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

I'm color blind, so I guess what looks like a chip to me may be grease or something? so it's not chipped, you might polish the burs some & then go ahead & use them. Eaton has a 30 spline unit as well, for the same amount of money.
Rich
PS If this was my car & knowing how week the 8.5 10 bolt is
instead of putting it back together I either get a 12 bolt or a 9"
Old 09-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
I'm color blind, so I guess what looks like a chip to me may be grease or something? so it's not chipped, you might polish the burs some & then go ahead & use them. Eaton has a 30 spline unit as well, for the same amount of money.
Rich
PS If this was my car & knowing how week the 8.5 10 bolt is
instead of putting it back together I either get a 12 bolt or a 9"
yeah I figured with the carrier and axles it will easily hold 400hp which is all i plan to throw at it. Its a street car so i don't need to go crazy with it. Its only a 7.5" too
Old 09-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

What is the threaded thing on the side gear in the second pic?

If the teeth are chipped debur with a grinder or stone and run them. The only damage that cause me to toss the gears is if a piece obviously ran through the mesh and cracked a tooth. Little chips and scars just add character.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:24 PM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last photo:

Those appear to be pits and burrs on the ring gear teeth I'd recycle them in the scrap bin. Just not worth trashing more new parts with possible bad ones.

For the money I'd go with a 9" and have the mounts put on it.

Just My .02
Tony
Old 09-04-2010, 05:11 PM
More for Less Racer

I've seen the exact scenario with the stock 7.5" posi carrier - exploded spider gears, it is a common thing. You are now finding out why everyone says the 7.5 isn't worth the money to upgrade...you are always going to be up against the next weak link. Get the big axles in there and good posi unit and the next thing to go will be pinion teeth due to the overall small size of the 7.5". Girdle cover may help this, keep the ring and carrier from being pushed(deflection) away from the pinion but IDK, I never bothered to try to go that far with a 7.5". It just seemed like further throwing more money down the crapper

I've reused the gears like yours (3.73 Richmond)and have them last for several years , one tooth even chipped 1/8" spot not on the contact pattern.... but they were put in a different rear of another car with less power. In the first car we rebuilt the rear and put an Auburn and 4.10's in place of the blown-up stock posi and the 3.73's, took about 6 months of abuse and peeled teeth, with a 365-ish hp 327 .

Richard III, nothing weak about an 8.5", I'll take one any day over the average cast iron center junkyard Ford 9". The 9"s legendary strength status is built on the backs of the fewer nodular center section, 31 spline axle models, the standard 28 spline cast center models are easy to blow up. I will agree even that would be a big strength upgrade from a 7.5"
Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

I plan on making 400 crank. Will the upgrades I plan on doing hold that? I imagine assuming at 18% power loss through the trans so about 325 to the wheels. I don't see how the 28 spline axles and the better carrier unit wouldn't hold. It would be nice to throw a 9" in but I would have to have it narrowed and have the mounts changed to the g body. I remember seeing a guy on ebay selling them for over $1000. I would prefer to stick with a gm rearend.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

I just blew up my GM 7.5, haven't pulled the cover off to see the extent of the damage, but in my opinion I would look for a 8.5. They cAn be built to be as strong as 12 bolts. They might be A little tough to find but well worth it . They came stock in GrAnd Nationals and I believe Monte Carlo SS. A 9 inch is sweet though . I'm currently building one. For my g body wagon. But it's going behind a 650HP 496 big block. Good luck with your build though. Hopefully you don't blow it up agAin
Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

Those marks on the teeth are on the coast side. I wouldn't worry about it. If the drive side looks good then use them again. Just don't use another one of those junk Auburn units. Where did you get the 28 spline axles for your 7.5? All of the G body 7.5 rear ends had 26 spline axles.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head
Those marks on the teeth are on the coast side. I wouldn't worry about it. If the drive side looks good then use them again. Just don't use another one of those junk Auburn units. Where did you get the 28 spline axles for your 7.5? All of the G body 7.5 rear ends had 26 spline axles.
I believe the GN was the only g body to receive the 8.5. If I could find one for a decent Price I would gladly swap it in
Old 09-06-2010, 09:27 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

GN, T Type and a few 442s got the 8.5. That's about it.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.