Hot Rod Forum banner

My rusty/ratty 48 chevy truck build (w/ pics)

72K views 210 replies 61 participants last post by  Flipper_1938 
#1 ·
I'm in the middle of doing one of those S-10/Advance Design Chevrolet creations.

Here is the way the truck sits now. Wheels are 20" Centerlines.

Here are my crazy assed headers. Building these things was a royal pain in the ***! :)

The brake booster complicated things.

The rear tube couldn't go up and over due to the column and the booster..........so it goes DOWN and makes a full loop before joining up with the other tubes!

I am not 100% on running the seats out of the jaguar xjs donor.

We recycled the original column and wheel. Not 100% sure what is going to happen with the dash either. S-10 pedal assy has been cleaned up, trans tunnel started, floors started

I'm proud of my column drop. Pedal assembly welds will get finished when it comes time to paint. From the driver seat, you cant see the bracket that holds the pedal.

Dad's dog checkin' stuff out.

Do all AD hoods stand up like this?

See less See more
#86 · (Edited)
old fords said:
nice truck. Me and dad have a 48 chevy 3/4 ton wrecker we are thinking of putting on an S-10 frame with a sbc auto, and flatbed. I was showing this thread to my dad and he wondered what kind of car was on the trailer with a tarp on it
That would be a 1974 VW bug. It has been lowered quite a bit ...has a 5.5" narrowed beam, drop spindles, and disc brakes on the front....the rear has flipped trailing arms (to correct the camber) and has been dropped 2 outer splines.

#88 ·
DeathRattle said:
I havent been around this thread in a long time...caught my eye again and i flipped through what i havent seen in a while.
Lookin good especially that dash/under seat hookup. I cant wait for the finished product...its gonna be somethin to see for sure. Good job :thumbup:
The finished product is gonna look like it does now on the outside.....other than new glass and seals. The interior is getting more work done (carpet, door panels, more paint, headliner).

#91 ·
Flipper_1938 said:
That would be a 1974 VW bug. It has been lowered quite a bit ...has a 5.5" narrowed beam, drop spindles, and disc brakes on the front....the rear has flipped trailing arms (to correct the camber) and has been dropped 2 outer splines.

Kewl truck, and nice bug! A cool forum to check out concerning your bug would be volksrods.com

If you're not on there already.

P.S. If you decide to join volksrods do an intro. :)

#94 ·
51chevytruck said:
I love the truck nice fabrication work. I am putting a 51 on a S10 frame right now and was wondering if you knew the backspacing of the rims. I don't want to use spacers and like the look of your rims on the truck. Also do you have any rubbing lock to lock.

Thanks
Tom

5.5" I think.

They work great on the front. Tuck up real nice.

The rear NEEDED the camaro axles extra width to look right with the deep back spacing.

#96 ·
norcal47 said:
how far off the frame did you mount the body. I have mine up on 4x4 blocks. Would this give me about the same stance as yours? ( I don't have all the "ballast" it will have eventually, so not sure about finall ride height.)
I mounted mine lower (1.5"?) and it ended up being a ton of work....lots more cutting for clearance. 4x4 block should be about right.

#97 ·
I have been doing more work on the truck...I just haven't been taking pictures.

Guess what. I remembered the camera!!!!

This was my solution for the brake switch. I mounted a mid 80's GM switch in the top, rear surface of the S-10 brake bracket and then addwd an arm to the back of the brake pedal. The you hit the brakes, the lever moves up...and off of the switch. (I should have taken pics while the whole assembly was out.

#98 ·
Here are pics of my turn signals.

With the lense removed. The arrow is made from 2 LED clearance lights from Wally-world.

These were the left overs from the clearance lights (some cutting required)

I made a bracket from a piece of jaguar XJS chrome (I recycle)

I re-used the OLD turn signal switch that was in the truck when I bought it (spray-bombed of course). The wires are pulled through a piece of un-shrunk heat-shrink tubing. Looks nice and it was damn near free.

#99 ·
I realized I need more switches (electric fan and hazard lights), but didn't want them mounted just anywhere. I squeezed them in my new "seat dash"

It was a tight fit trying to fit them in the switch panel that was not designed for any extra stuff. I made a cardbodrd template that was the same size as the switch and used a cener punch to find a spot where the switches fit.

It worked great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.