Hot Rod Forum banner

My rusty/ratty 48 chevy truck build (w/ pics)

72K views 210 replies 61 participants last post by  Flipper_1938 
#1 ·
I'm in the middle of doing one of those S-10/Advance Design Chevrolet creations.

Here is the way the truck sits now. Wheels are 20" Centerlines.

Here are my crazy assed headers. Building these things was a royal pain in the ***! :)

The brake booster complicated things.

The rear tube couldn't go up and over due to the column and the booster..........so it goes DOWN and makes a full loop before joining up with the other tubes!

I am not 100% on running the seats out of the jaguar xjs donor.

We recycled the original column and wheel. Not 100% sure what is going to happen with the dash either. S-10 pedal assy has been cleaned up, trans tunnel started, floors started

I'm proud of my column drop. Pedal assembly welds will get finished when it comes time to paint. From the driver seat, you cant see the bracket that holds the pedal.

Dad's dog checkin' stuff out.

Do all AD hoods stand up like this?

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
busterwivell said:
What? You guys have a problem with the HAMB Alliance?
Don't even get me started on Ryan and some of his close "buddies". Nothing against any particular HAMB members but let's just say there are some who don't care for the games Ryan has played in the past and we aren't about to let bygones be bygones. If you really want to know.... ask him why the Rodders Roundtable (not to be confused with the Rodding Roundtable) isn't around anymore.

#13 ·
busterwivell said:
So then it is OK to be a HAMBer and on here, too?
All HAMBers are welcome at HotRodders.

Just keep in mind that this place is allot more "establishment" oriented so stuff (language) that's OK on the HAMB won't fly here.

#19 ·
55 dude said:
just curious on a few things: why did you use a 79' camaro rearend and was it a bolt in swap.thanks :D
I needed the width in the rear to move the rear tires out. ....I made the truck fit the wheels instead of the way most people do it.

Not a bolt in. Also I built a 1.5" drop into the spring perches.

The same 79 camaro donated the engine and trans.

#23 ·
55 dude said:
do you happen to have some pic's of the things you did to the camaro rearend? i have been told people use the s-10 4x4 rear beause the rear the correct width, the stock 2wd is too narrow. do you happen to know if the camaro rear is the same as the s-10 4x4? thanks and stay cool! :D
If you're looking for a rear end that is the correct width, I used a 9" from a '70 Mustang. With stock fenders, 15X8.5 Torq-Thrusts fit perfectly. With 3" wider than stock 'glass fenders, 15X10 Torq-Thrusts fit nice.

Chris

#24 ·
The jag seats are gone. I started making my idea for a modified bench seat a reality.

I used sheetmetal to form the seat back and seat bottom..

There is a steel subframe under the seat bottom to help carry my fat ***.

The seat back and bottoms are contoured more like a modern seat and will be padded with a couple of inches of foam. (This is just the first layer. Bottom layers are gonna be dense, top layers something more cushy)

Doing the seat like this gains a bunch of interior space over the stock set-up. My seat back sheetmetal actually touches the back of the cab. I will sit 3-4 inches lower and about 5-6 inches farther back.

I forgot to take my camera with me last weekend.....when I finished the seat.

The seat bottom got a 4 inch thick foam cushion and the seat back got 2 inches.

The whole thing got covered in black vinyl. I'm happy with it.

#25 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, I also cut 10 1/2 inches out of the stock flatbed. The rear-most crossmember is flush with the end of the frame.

I need to mount the tank and fill it with water (to simulate a full tank of gas) and maybe hang a few hundred pounds from the frame before I make a final decision on bed height.

Here's what the tunnel looks like without all of those holes.

I'll try and remember to take my camera next trip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.