My Shop is on the way - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Bugs

Wiki Edits: 0

My Shop is on the way

Just want to thank all of you that helped me with all the questions I had about the best way to put me up a shop,(Pole barn Vs. all Steel building)I am going to go with an all steel building, the money got a little tight so I had to shrink it down a bit from a 24' X 40' to a 25' X 30', It will be here next week sometime, I am not quite ready for it so he is just going to off load it close to where it is going to be built, I am going to put it in the back yard so I am haveing 40 yards of fill dirt brought in to build it up a little in case of storms and high water, it gets very wet in the back after we get a lot of rain, a freind of the family is bringing in the fill , 40 yards for $195.00,then my future son in law has a bobcat and he said he would level it out for me for the cost of fuel only, you can't beat that, the young man that is going to build it for me is also a long time freind that lives across the street, he got me a deal on the building for $4150.00, that's for the whole nine yards includeing labor for the two boys he has working for him, I thought this was a bargin and a half and I sure do appreciate him doing this for me

I am going to put it on a concrete footer and anchor it to that plus use the 3' screw in anchors that come with it, for now the floor will have to wait but that's OK at least my tools will be all in one spot and in the dry, It is going to have two 7' X 10" roll up doors that I already have and one 3'0" entrance door, no windows for now, like I said , the money got tight on me

I can't wait, going to have to put me couch and TV in it because that's where I will be most of the time Now I have to figure out what my first project is going to be in the new shop, if I know what's good for me it will be something for the wife that I have been putting off since she is the money maker that is paying for it Thanks again for all of your advice on this, Take care

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Way to go Bugs, I know you will really enjoy it.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:36 PM
the 377 rocks

Last journal entry: my 68 camaro
Last photo:

bugs , i'v been thinking about adding a steel garage about that size, if you dont mind who did you order from. becouse that seems like a good price just for the building thanks jeff
Old 12-03-2005, 07:03 PM

Good for you
Mine is almost up 30x56 on concrete slab,the bldg was not too difficult to put up.
If yours has exterior bracing to keep everything lined up be sure to use them lol.
I purchased mine from Future Steel and had to off load a short distance away due to a winding road to my bldg.site.
I think i made the right choice .
Old 12-03-2005, 08:33 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

did you go round or rectangle?

I love the round ones for their wind resistance

if you really need something to work on ...........

good luck you lucky bastard ,, dont forget the lazyboy too

SR66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 12-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Bugs

Hey Jeff22, I am not sure who he ended up getting from , he had to do some shopping to get me the price I could afford, I will find out there web site and post it if this is allowed?

Rob Keller, I went with the rounded roof style,it's not a quansa hut, it just has the eves rounded over,(No over hang) I too like the idea of them holding up in the wind better, if there is no over hang for the wind to grab onto it has to hold up better I would think,

Yes Henery I will sure enjoy it, I have had small shops in the past (still have a 12' X 12') but you know how that goes, it was full the day I built it I won't know what to think when I have enough room to move around, wish I could have went bigger but this will do me fine if I can break myself from pack ratting so many things I can always go around it with "lean-to"s for more semi dry storage

Last edited by Bugs; 12-05-2005 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:59 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Bugs-
Please keep my experience in mind:

1.) When running power to the building, use conduit. Its cheap, and good insurance. When running it, make sure you put in extra runs for Cable TV, Telephone, Water (TRUST ME!)

2.) If you are only putting a portion of the building, leave room for expansion. You will, eventually !
My 30x40 is already too small....

3.) When pouring the floor, be sure to put in drains.

4.) Think long and hard about how you wire the building, AND if you plumb it for air. Seems like EVERY outlet I put in, is on the way. Same goes for the air lines. Every one seems to conflict with where I put cabinets. I have YET to use them, as I typically use the hose reel. Ya gotta coil the hose every time, so a good hose reel does a better job , IMO.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Bugs

The shop arrived

My shop finally got here, the boy from across the street that got it for me and is going to put it up for me has it in his yard, he came over and looked and decided there is no way he can back the trailer down in the back yard where it is going, they loaded it on a 35 foot goose neck trailer because the metal sideing is in full lenght peices along with the 25 foot trusses, so he can get it up to my gate and that's as close as we can get it, going to have to carry it on down to the building site, it won't be too bad, I will gather up some freinds saturday evening and make a party out of it, it sure don't look like much sitting on the trailer, I can just hear my wife when she see's it,,,,"Is that what we paid all that money for" Once it up she will be happy, especially when I get some of my tools off the back porch,out of the dineing room and out of the spare bedroom

Thanks for the tips on the wireing and plumbing "Beenaway2long", I will have a plug within arms reach everywhere you look the same with the air chunks You can never have to many, I will try to learn how to post pictures and send them in soon

Jeff the shop came out of a place in Tampa Fl. I asked him yesterday if he would be interested in going out of state to put one up and he said sorry not at this time, but he plans on getting big into this so maybe later, like I have said he is a long time freind of the family and he isn't chargeing me for his labor on it, just for the two fella's that work for him so this is one reason I got a good deal on it and he bought it at his cost letting on like it was for himself, the cost would have been $2500 more for someone else, he and his father are always needing some welding done so I can return the favor one day, I hope
Old 12-09-2005, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

pictures???

couple of suggestions

I like air and electric coming down from the ceiling from retractable reels

and drop lights too

I worked for this guy before we poured concrete we ran 6" pipe everywhere for conduit (may be it was bigger pipe)
anyway we were able to pipe stuff later just a idea to put in your head

good luck

Sr66

Old 12-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Bugs

Thanks for the tips Rob, I have some pvc pipe that I plan on running under the slab and teeing off for the air and power in places I want it, I will run a bunch of nylon strings through it for future add on's,(I seen this on this old house once) They brought my shop over day before yesterday and unloaded it, now it's time for me to get serious with the clean up and fill dirt, I can't wait I am in the process of building a 305 for a freind of mines son so this is slowing me down a lot, I should be able to fire it off within the next couple a days and get it out of here then I will have more time for the shop, haveing to build it in between the rain storms is a *****, makes me want the shop done even more
Old 12-12-2005, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

hell I just noticed your location let me know If you need some help .

you cant be that far from me

pm me and Ill give you my e mail

SR66

Old 12-12-2005, 11:49 PM

Make sure you get good compaction on that fill. Once you cut sub-grade, find someone with a vibratory grade roller and pound that stuff in. You'll want at least 92% compaction.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Bugs

Thanks Rob for the offer, I sent to a PM Packing the fill has been on my mind, the freind that is bringing the fill has a couple of huge rubber tired loaders, maybe I will get him to level it off instead of my F.S.I.L. with his bobcat, that would pack it down better, but as slow as I am going on this shop deal the fill will most likely be packed by mother nature and have grass and tree's growing on it by the time I get the shop up
Old 12-13-2005, 04:14 PM

Last photo:

make sure to check codes for termites in this county even metal building get the spray under the slab.

good old mother nature is the best after you get it where you want it(as far as over a period of time).

SR66

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.