Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - My spark plug colors, am I good or not?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Those are some damn ugly plug pics posted

Ive driven the car at about 80mph on those plugs but just regular driving in the winter for a short distance to take a ride and didnt do it the way mentioned.

Ive had occasional hot start "kick back" issues and was thinking the plugs were heated hot and causing the cylinder to fire before it got spark when it tries to start. Was hoping my plug pics would confirm my guess but maybe with the little use the car see's I cant really judge. Im convinced its NOT an ignition issue as I have an MSD timing computer, new wires, new distrib cap and rotor, and once started the timing is dead on accurate.

Also, my plugs appear to have carbon (black) on the center ceramic and theres little resistance between the center probe and the ceramic because of the carbon. That cant be good. New plugs of the same type will only result in the same situation I think. But looking at the pics you guys are posting makes my plugs look pretty.

The carb is a holley and pretty well tuned. The engine shakes so much at idle its hard to get an accurate fuel flow out of the side holes. Ive got all of 12hg vac from the idle screws which according to Holley is the way to check for proper setting (highest vac)