Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - My spark plug colors, am I good or not?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 04:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Heres an update and opinions would be appreciated:

I bought a holley book which confirms everything posted here. Still, I have a minor issue if you read:

1) Got my IDLE SPEED screw almost down to zero. Its maybe 1/4 turn now and under the carb is "square"

2) My idle MIXTURE screws are about 1 turn out each. Any farther in the car begins to stall, farther out does nothing

3) I have the SECONDARIES opened just slightly. Maybe the thickness of 2 pieces of paper opening. Very very small

Car idles at 1000 rpm with this setup, BUT, to me it feels like its not a clean idle. Its almost feels like a fouled plug (these are litterallly 2 weeks old). Revving the engine the car seems ok, no backfire no roughness.

If I grab the secondary rod (to open them more) I can get the car to go into any rpm I want. 3000 rpm is possible. So I'll assume I DONT want to mess with the secondary adjustment anymore

The Holley book I got says that sometimes you ALSO need to drill the holes in the plates but it doesnt say what might indicate I need to do so.

I raised my idle timing from 18 to 30' for ZERO affect. The car didnt seem to idle any better.

Is it possible I also need a hole or 2 in the plates for more air?

Right now Im at 1000 rpm idle but a bit rocky. Even with my setup I know this car can idle smooth at 800rpm even with the k-klack k-klack of the engine.