Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - My SPARK PLUGS keep burning out on me after a quick drive.
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Because of the design of a OEM-type mechanical pump, it will have a fluctuation on the gauge- this is considered normal. The psi you are seeing- while borderline high- is still within specs.

You said there was dripping fuel entering the engine. What you need to be aware of, is the Q-jet will exhibit "nozzle drip" if the idle isn't right. And the idle is tied to the timing. Also check to see if there's any dripping happening right after you shut the engine off.

So, to start with:

What is the initial timing?

What is the vacuum is at idle?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Is the vacuum advance working and if so, is it connected to ported or manifold vacuum?

If the float level is off either because the adjustment is wrong or the float has soaked up fuel and has become heavy, this will cause a too-rich condition. If the idle vacuum is insufficient to fully seat the power piston, this can cause a too-rich condition.
What is the initial timing? Its set at 10 btdc

What is the vacuum is at idle? Havent checked it. Since the engine fouls the plugs . Figured i would have a bad reading. Due to the slight miss.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?Yes,but ill check it again.

Is the vacuum advance working and if so, is it connected to ported or manifold vacuum?Yes its working,ported vacuum.Above the throttle plates.

It has a metal float. Already checked it. It has not fuel in it when i shake it. As for the vacuum. Can i check it with that miss. Or will it give me a bad reading.Ill try to clean the plugs and get it as steady as possible to get a good reading. Their is no nozzle drip at idle.Let me see if there is any after i shut it off.