Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - My SPARK PLUGS keep burning out on me after a quick drive.
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanmer
As for the vacuum. Can i check it with that miss. Or will it give me a bad reading.Ill try to clean the plugs and get it as steady as possible to get a good reading. Their is no nozzle drip at idle.Let me see if there is any after i shut it off.
You can still check the vacuum, the miss will cause the needle to bounce but you'll still see where it would be normally.

I'm a bit confused. You responded to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355Nova
I figured it out by taking air cleaner off first and looking into carb when someone shut off the car for me. The carb was just literally dropping the a little bit of gas for about 15sec after car was turned off.

I hinted carb when I had pulled out a spark plug and smelled gas on them. Reason I pulled spark plug was because I had no start. I also noticed that If I kept cranking engine it would start in long run but hesitated when I accelerated.

I bought a fuel pressure regulator at autozone and walla! I also took time to tune carb while I was at it.
With the following:

"I know this thread is old but i have the same problem. Only thing is i have a mechanical fuel pump. Is that what you have as well. I didnt think one would need a fuel pressure regulator with a mechanical fuel pump."

What is the same problem you have? If it's not the carb dripping fuel, it must be the wet plugs?

There are a ton of things that can cause the plugs to foul w/fuel- carb, anything on the primary or secondary side of the ignition, fuel pressure to name a few.

Besides the fuel pressure, you need to rule out the ignition and carb float level, or blocked air bleeds, stuck power valve, internal leaks from warpage, bad well plugs, etc.