Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - My SPARK PLUGS keep burning out on me after a quick drive.
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
It's just natural for hot rodders to think that more is better because it's true in many aspects of car building. In the case of a carburetor, it is not the truth. Your motor will operate better at 5 psi max using a Quadrajet, Carter or Edelbrock carb. Holley's will tolerate another 1 psi, for a max of 6.

More pressure will not make more horsepower. It will over-ride the needle and seat and blow raw fuel into the intake manifold, creating a tuning nightmare.

Find a way to drop the pressure to 5 psi at the carb inlet and you will be rewarded with a system that functions properly. If I had a mechanical fuel pump and it was delivering 7 psi, I would either replace it with a pump that delivers the proper pressure or I would rig up a bleed back to the tank, with an adjustable screw to limit or allow more fuel to be returned to the tank.

The Carter muscle car mechanical pumps spec a little higher than 5, but seem to work well on a street application....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M6624/
Ok thanks.I think i have a regulator. Ill try it out and go down to 5psi.

@cobalt327 What i meant to say in the quote was that My SPARK PLUGS keep fouling out out on me. It doesnt drip fuel while at idle. Ill have to check if it does after i shut if off. Also just curious How would one check the primary and secondary igniton.

P.s. Tried to multi quote but i didnt have the multiquote option unless i missed it. All i saw was the quote button.