My SPARK PLUGS keep burning out on me after a quick drive. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How did you figure it was the fuel pressure and what did you do to fix it?
Why was it so high?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 AM

Solution

I figured it out by taking air cleaner off first and looking into carb when someone shut off the car for me. The carb was just literally dropping the a little bit of gas for about 15sec after car was turned off.

I hinted carb when I had pulled out a spark plug and smelled gas on them. Reason I pulled spark plug was because I had no start. I also noticed that If I kept cranking engine it would start in long run but hesitated when I accelerated.

I bought a fuel pressure regulator at autozone and walla! I also took time to tune carb while I was at it.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:44 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

flooding

Good deal, glad to hear you got her fixed. I don't know how long this has been going on but, might want to think about changing the oil. Raw gas dripping down the intake finds it's way into the oil pan, contaminating the oil.

I've heard a lot about "vacuum controlled fuel pressure regulators" That reduce pressure at idle (high vacuum) and cruise and increase pressure under load and WOT (low vacuum) mostly from guy's with TBI and port injection. Not sure about carbs though. I'm curios about what you got as I'm looking to upgrade my fuel pump to electric from manual to my 600 CFM but don't want to overwhelm it with too much pressure. Can you tell me what kind AZ sells and the cost?

Thanks! SQZBOX

ps; DAM TECHINSPECTOR IS GOOD, AIN'T HE? Sometimes I think he has a crystal ball or something.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 PM

Fuel Pump

Yeah this guy can nail it right on the spot no questions asked!! Thanks Mr. TECH! The pump at autozone costs $39.99. Brand is by Mr. Gasket. Small in size and not bulky. It even has it's own little gas filter with it but I still adapted my own filter.

Thanks,
JD
Old 09-19-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355Nova
I figured it out by taking air cleaner off first and looking into carb when someone shut off the car for me. The carb was just literally dropping the a little bit of gas for about 15sec after car was turned off.

I hinted carb when I had pulled out a spark plug and smelled gas on them. Reason I pulled spark plug was because I had no start. I also noticed that If I kept cranking engine it would start in long run but hesitated when I accelerated.

I bought a fuel pressure regulator at autozone and walla! I also took time to tune carb while I was at it.
I know this thread is old but i have the same problem. Only thing is i have a mechanical fuel pump. Is that what you have as well. I didnt think one would need a fuel pressure regulator with a mechanical fuel pump.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanmer
I know this thread is old but i have the same problem. Only thing is i have a mechanical fuel pump. Is that what you have as well. I didnt think one would need a fuel pressure regulator with a mechanical fuel pump.
Temporarily mount a 0-15 mechanical fuel pressure gauge on the grille-work of the cowl, directly in front of the windshield and monitor the pressure through the glass as you drive. Use copper tubing for a temporary, cheap install to plumb between the gauge and the carburetor inlet point.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:04 PM

Ill have to try that. Just wanted to say that this is just a aftermarket fuel pump. No performance brand or what have you. Also the engine is from a 76 Chevy 3/4 ton Pu. I installed it in my 83 Chevy Pu 1/2 ton. I wasn't to sure what to set the timing to. When i called for specs. I was told a 76 Pu engine was something like 8 degrees btdc then i was told a 83 was set at 10 or 12 degrees btdc. Depending if it was a California model. I'm from Texas so i set it at around 9 Degrees if that makes sense. Not sure if this is my problem. I read somewhere that the mechanical fuel pumps have a spring by the arm and that when it goes bad it will shoot up the fuel pressure.Also i purchased this truck form a guy that had it parked for 2 yrs. Already resealed the whole engine. It is basically a stock 350 engine with a rv cam and a quadrajet. Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by nanmer; 09-20-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:42 PM

I attached a fuel pressure gauge.When i start the engine. The gauge just bounces back and fourth.Looks like from 5 to 10. Would someone please help. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:26 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanmer
I attached a fuel pressure gauge.When i start the engine. The gauge just bounces back and fourth.Looks like from 5 to 10. Would someone please help. Thanks.
You need to monitor the gauge while driving.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 PM

shouldn't i still have a steady pressure of around 5-7 psi at idle.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

At idle it shows your pressure regulator is working. Really need to take it for a ride and monitor pressure at cruise and WOT. I'm guessing you have a 2 line fuel pump?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:42 PM

I don't have a regulator on it. Its a mechanical pump from the parts house.Didn't think i needed a regulator. Not hi performance. As for how many lines. I need to check it again tomorrow. Its 2 or 3. Its a 83 1/2 ton Pu.I didn't think these trucks came with regulators originally,correct. Thanks.

Last edited by nanmer; 09-23-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Sorry I thought you had one on there. I needed to read back to the first post I guess. It didn't come with a reg, though. Get back with results tomorrow ok?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:54 PM

You mean results while driving and monitoring the gauge.Ill see if i can scrounge up fittings. Im still wondering why the gauge is bouncing so much. I dont think it should be doing that. Its brand new. Wondering if its the spring in the fuel pump by the rocker arm.

Last edited by nanmer; 09-23-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Here is an interesting read. Its sounds like the fluctuation is normal and to use a oil filled gauge for more accuracy.
Fuel Pressuer Guage Jumping Around

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.