Hot Rod Forum banner

my T-350 build ( hughes manual vb / transbrake - fti converter - jw ultrabell)

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Project89 
#1 · (Edited)
figured i start a thread to document my th350 build for my turbo car

hopefully ill have better luck with this trans then the professionally built th400 i had before this

what i started with was a 9inch tailshaft th350c , and a 6 inch tailshaft th350
well in my app i need the 9 inch tailshaft so i tore down the th350c to steal the tailshaft housing and output shaft from it.

ill also being using some other misc parts out of it as they should be in better condition then some of the th350 stuff

heres the th350c i tore down

and here is the rebuild kit i bought for 100$'s

shortly after i bought all that a huges reverse manual/tranbrake vb came up for sale on tgo along with some other goodies
so for 400$'s i ende dup getting the huges manual/tbrake vbody , a jw lightewiegth ultrabell + the already modified trans case
which was a really good price btw

and finally my 8" fti 3,800-4k stall converer

the plan is to finish tearing down the other th350 i have for the input shaft/pump and other parts i need between the th350 and the c , and then get everythign cleaned and ready to go for assembly on monday

when i start to assemble it on monday ill be sure to take plenty of pics of the progress

one thing i prolly should have bought and didnt which mite bite me in the butt later down the road is some aftermarket input and output shafts, but only time will tell on that

btw if anyoen can recommend a good trans cooler for this thing it would be greatly appreciated, ive never used a tbrake before on any of my own cars before so not sure how much larger my cooler needs to be then normal , id prefer a cooler that comes with an fittings on it as i plan on using pushloc lines for the connections versus hardlines

See less See more
#3 ·
Another part you may have missed is the weak intermediate sprag/drum, the stock roller type sprag and race is a well known breakage point.....best fix is an aftermarket 36 element cam-type sprag/drum, copied from what is used in the early TH-400 and in the 4L80. Jake's, TCI, BTE and others sell this drum.

At the very least replace old sprag cage and rollers with a new HD assembly, and add a heat treated outer race(and some prayers and crossed fingers, especially with a 'Brake)....but the 36 element version is bulletproof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.