Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - My T-400 Tranmission Will not go into any gear.
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

My T-400 Tranmission Will not go into any gear.

I recently dropped a SBC (350) into my 1980 camaro, the transmission had been sitting out of the car for about 8 months, But when i drove it last, it shifted fine, so why it would stop working out of the blue is beyond me.
I did remove the oil pan and change the gasket/filter, but I thought I was very careful not to touch anything else.

The car is on jack stands
The only thing that works is park. At first I thought it was the shift linkage But then when i ran the engine, and moved the lever on the trans manually into the gears, NOTHING happens.

Reverse or 1st,2nd,3rd. Nothing
Driveshaft is seated correctly
the fly wheel spins, the torque converter spins.
When I installed the torque converter I was very careful to make sure I got the "Two clunks" so to know it was seated properly

The vacuum line from the (edelbrock) carb to the modulator is set up correctly, and there is plenty of FRESH automatic fluid in trans as well.

There is an electrical plug on the driver side But i dont ever recall it being set up even when it was driving?
Is there something Inside the transmissions Im suppose to connect?

This is making me crazy, Ive been working on this car forever Im so close to driving this car and the amount of frustration is becoming unbearable.
There are very few people I could ask for assistance.

Please lend some knowledge, Im 21 and have much to learn.