as my tranny gentaly grinds - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2003, 12:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

as my tranny gentaly grinds

Hey got a queston on a 86 nissian.I know its not as cool as the chevelle but i drive it back and fourth to work.Any ways its a pickup and after you drive it a while it grinds going into 3rd and just a little in 5th.Up till it gets warmed up it does fine no grind or nothing.Any body got any ideals?Im hoping it just might be low on trans,fluid and after it gets hot Its thinning out and causeing it.I thought it could be the sycanissor but wouldnt that cause it to grind either hot or could,Any ideals would be helpfull.THANKS

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2003, 12:24 AM

Last photo:

clutch?
Old 07-31-2003, 12:46 AM

I had thought of that since my clutch is releasing pretty far up.Ive just never seen one act like that they just always stated slipping on me.I only gave 150 for the truck put a couple hundred into it and thats counting a new paint job i put on it and ive drove the wheels off it about 120 miles a day so if i do have to put a clutch in i dont guess i should grip
Old 07-31-2003, 02:24 AM

Last photo:

If the clutch is releasing pretty far up, it's probably not the problem. I'd check the fluid, both for level and proper type. Some manual trans's use ATF, some use 90W gear lube.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:26 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I think Jinm is on the right track. Although I have heard of hydraulic clutches acting up after being driven for a while, I would think it is likely a fluid problem. Since it gets worse after driving, I would think maybe it is getting too hot. That could be from being low or the wrong fluid. Some use the fluid more for coolant than lubrication. Some just need the lubrication. Check and find out what fluid it is supposed to have in it. Don't just assume what it is supposed to have.

As an added note. If you drive with your hand on the shifter. STOP. That causes wear on the nylon inserts and shift forks in the trans. That has a tendancy to cause shifting problems. May prevent it from coming all of the way out of gear and going all the way into gear.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:54 AM

well i dont drive with my hands on the shifter but who knows what the people who had it before done.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:35 AM

Location: I live in Rocklin, CA about 30 miles east of Sacramento.

First things first, drain your tranny oil and look for metal. If you have what looks like very fine glitter in the oil, that could be normal wear. If you have large chunks to something about as course as normal sand, then you have problems. Try adding new oil and some Lucas additive. Also manual transmisions generally don't run hot like automatics. It will get very warm, but not enough to break down your oil.

Also if you have a cable type clutch linkage, or a linkage made out of metal rods. try to adjust it first, or get someone to adjust it. If your clutch isn't slipping then don't replace it. If you have a hydraulic clutch then there is no adjustment. Also make sure when you press the clutch pedal in that it goes to the floor. Don't just press it in halfway. If all else fails, you may need a tranny, but I wouldn't worry about that until it stops working completely. Nissans are good trucks and you probably have nothing to worry about though. Check your oil first!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.