My transmission died tonight :( - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Registered Looser

Last journal entry: Background: why I am here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My transmission died tonight :(

Driving my truck this afternoon I noticed a strange ticking noise coming from the engine, but I couldn't pin point it. Oil pressure looked good, vacuum gauge looked good, water temp was fine, trans temp was fine, car ran fine... figured it for an exhaust leak.

My daughter and I were up in Malibu hiking with friends and stopped for dinner on the way home. On the way back from dinner the truck "fell out of gear" - not the gear shift lever, but the truck just wouldn't go anymore... Again all engine vitals looked good but the ticking noise was much louder and the truck wouldn't move in any gear. This is an 11-month old 700R4 w new 2300rpm stall converter installed in January, 3500 miles on it.

Called AAA, while waiting for the tow I examined all I could in the dark with my flashlight, no leaking fluids, no loose bolts, everything appeared normal, except the noise and no movement. The tow truck driver and I went over all the possibilities, he agreed it must the trans and off we went.

Towed it to my trans guy's shop and will deal with it in the morning - I hope it is as simple as a bad torque converter, I'd hate to have pull and ship the entire transmission back to the manufacturer.

Bummer to get stuck on a Sunday evening with my daughter after a nice day out - and the day after I straightened out my distributor/ignition situation - life just isn't fair sometimes

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 11:46 PM

Stripped the splines out of the torque converter
Old 11-08-2010, 12:22 AM

Last photo:

possible that the bolts were loose on the converter? may have sheared the bolts. other than that its either a TC or some kinda catastophic internal failure being that it has no gears.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Registered Looser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLuck
Stripped the splines out of the torque converter
If it was as simple as that, I hope nothing happened to the trans in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transbuilderguy
possible that the bolts were loose on the converter? may have sheared the bolts. other than that its either a TC or some kinda catastophic internal failure being that it has no gears.
The bolts on the TC were tight, as far as I know. It would be nice if it were as easy as that and no other damage occurred...
Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Registered Looser

Last photo:

Day 1 Update

Everything physical checked out at my local shop, according to their best guess, it would seem the front pump went out or the torque converter failed, or both, no debris in the pan and fluid looked perfect.

The trans is under the original warranty and the manufacturer agreed to return it to me for free, so I had the truck towed to them, it was only 96 miles and AAA did it for free. They will deliver the truck back to me no charge.

If it all works out, then I am ZERO out of pocket, I'll know more tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

thats good to hear.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Registered Looser

Last photo:

Day 2 - Update

Got a call from the trans manufacturer yesterday, the front pump was gone and they were inspecting the torque converter to make sure it was ok, unfortunately though according to them, the problem occurred due to improper installation by my local trans shop.

Their instructions clearly state the pilot bushing, if present in the crank, must be removed to allow proper engagement of the torque converter. Secondly, the dowels on the back of the block were too deep and didn't engage/align the bell housing properly allowing the trans to shift. Both issues are clearly outlined in the manufacturer's installation instructions my trans shop apparently overlooked.

The manufacturer is covering the repair of the trans under warranty. My local trans shop is of course disputing the manufacturer's claims and is unwilling to take any responsibility. Along with the repair of the transmission, the manufacturer pulled the pilot bearing and set the dowels properly when reinstalling the trans. They are also adjusting the speedo gearing and fixing a leaky seal.

They are going to test drive the truck for over the course of a day and check for leaks then ship it back to me on Thursday all fresh and and ready for me to thrash it once more. Cost to me for this fiasco, $250.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

sounds like a stand up gruop of guys . its glad to hear tha twe are still out there I was kinda thinking that i was the only one left.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Registered Looser

Last photo:

Day 4 Update

Got the truck back today, the transmission works.

I'll run it for a few days as is but the way the TV cable was set up the truck is shifting a bit late and firm, at least out of first.

Hopefully it lasts more than 3500 miles this time.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.