My turbo project is finished! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2004, 10:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My turbo project is finished!

I finally finished fabricating/installing my turbo setup. Runs pretty good, except for the knock. Guess I'll have to take some more timing out of it.

Some pictures:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 11:58 PM

Last photo:

Interesting. But my main question is, when the turbos spin up, what keeps the added pressure from blowing all the fuel out of the carb? I thought the carb had to be boxed inside the pressurized area.

Mark
Old 05-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Hey, that looks like a G-body...

For the guy up top, there are several modifications for carburators that need to be done before the turbo can be run. Apoxy some passages and such.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:46 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Thumbs up

looks nice!

you have any plans to run it on a dyno?

call me dumb, but what's it in?

i want to know more!
Old 05-03-2004, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

I would like to get it dynoed, but I'll have to wait until I get the tuning done.

It's in a 1986 Chevy 1/2 ton. Maybe I should have said that before.

Back to the dyno, does anyone know of a dyno shop around Omaha, Nebraska? I just took a job there and I'll be moving at the end of the month.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:05 PM

Last journal entry: working 4/24/04

if you dont mind how much did this setup cost..it looks sweet..how does it sound?-chad
Old 05-03-2004, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

I think I have around $1800 in it so far, but that doesn't include the time I have in fabricating all the intake and exhaust tubing, etc, etc. Before I installed the turbo setup, I installed a Summit 1105 cam (it replaced a Comp XE268 with 4 bad lobes), and that really changed the sound of the engine. It sounded much crisper with the new cam. After installing the turbos, the exhaust really mellowed out. You can barely hear any lope, which is kinda cool. It will be quite the sleeper. On a side note, I think the engine has more low end torque with the Summit cam( not including the turbos). I got more than I bargained for for $80!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Burnin ruber...raising hell!

Last photo:

There is nothin cooler than the sound of a turbo spool up (followed by a blow off valve) that is pretty intimidating!
-charlie
Old 05-04-2004, 04:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmark
Interesting. But my main question is, when the turbos spin up, what keeps the added pressure from blowing all the fuel out of the carb? I thought the carb had to be boxed inside the pressurized area.

Mark
Common misconception. It is not the case at all. All that is manditory is foam filled floats and boost reference regulator.

Orange, nice setup! What jets are you running? It takes a richer mixture to make a turbo engine happy than a NA engine with the same output. You are looking for 10.5-11:1 AFR instead of the normal 12-12.5:1 under load. Try adding a little fuel with larger secondary jets.

Chris
Old 05-04-2004, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

Jetting up the secondaries is my next step. My A/F gauge was heading towards lean when I start getting detonation. I may downsize the high speed air bleeds a little more as well to about .025"(currently .035"). I am at 32* total timing right now, I will probably pull that back some more too, maybe 28*. Thanks for the complements.

409guy- you are right on, the new sounds are awesome!
Old 05-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

You need to know that unless you have a WBO2 controller your AFR gauge is about usless except to know if you are over or under stoich. If you were almost showing lean then you where almost at stoich(14.7). That is way too lean for power runs. You basically want your AFR pegged rich due to the curve of the NBO2, which I am sure you have. You can then work up to the point where it is still showing rich, but running well and not smoking alot. Turbo setups need to be RICH. Remember that!

Chris
Old 05-04-2004, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboS10
You need to know that unless you have a WBO2 controller your AFR gauge is about usless except to know if you are over or under stoich. If you were almost showing lean then you where almost at stoich(14.7). That is way too lean for power runs. You basically want your AFR pegged rich due to the curve of the NBO2, which I am sure you have. You can then work up to the point where it is still showing rich, but running well and not smoking alot. Turbo setups need to be RICH. Remember that!

Chris
Hey Chris!!! You mind deceyfering (sp?) the above post for us non-turbo guys???

Mark
Old 05-04-2004, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

NBO2 = narrow band oxygen sensor = cheap
WBO2 = wide band oxygen sensor = not so cheap
AFR, A/F = air fuel ratio

I do agree, richer the better. I didn't change the carb much after installing the Proform main body, just opened up the power valve channel restrictions and put in smaller HSABs. It is currently a little rich at cruise, so I may go down on the primaries a size or two, or just hook up my vac. advance to see if that helps any.

Chris- hows the EFI controller doing? Did you get it working yet/ how well does it work?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Jmark,

Narrow Band O2 is what most of the older and some new oem's used for Air/Fuel Ratio control. The NBO2 is calibrated for 14.7:1 AFR which is the point called stoichometric for gasoline. This is the optimum ratio for a complete fuel burn with no excess air or fuel. WBO2 is used on some oem and upper end aftermarket controllers for a complete range of the AFR. It can accurately show from 10-18:1 or there about(varies). What you find with NBO2 is that it is only accurate at the stoich crossover point. At this point it will read about .5 volts. From there as AFR changes the sensor voltage changes VERY non linearly. On WBO2 the output voltage is linear in ralation to the calibrated AFR range it is designed for. Problem is that it is much more complicated and requires a micro controller to make the WBO2 work.

So what does all the above mean and how does it relate? When an engine is running under full power you need from 10-13:1 AFR(forced induction and NA are different) instead of the 14.7:1 stoich. To properly read this the WBO2 is much superior since the output is linear and much more acurate. With NBO2 you are guessing a little bit as to what the exact AFR is. You can get by with the NBO2, but it is alway good to err on the side of too rich since if you go lean you stand a chance of catostophic failure. Turbo engines are much more sensitive to detonation since cylinder pressure is much higher. This is also part of the reason behind the lower AFR number in forced induction. It acts to cool the combustion process.

Orange, I now have my EFI up and running and I think I have worked through the other bugs that I have had. I plan on doing some more tuning this week. So far I have it tuned to 4k RPM and about 8psi. It operates very well up to there. The great thing is that I can tune while driving and only need a laptop.....I can't tell you how cool that is.

Chris

Last edited by TurboS10; 05-04-2004 at 07:48 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.