My wife is right, I need professional help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2005, 12:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My wife is right, I need professional help!

I am sure this topic has been covered previously, can someone please eliberate on how this panel is constructed?
I wan to make simular door panels in my '33 coupe but don't understand the fine art of making these panels.
I thank all who will take their time to help me here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	7767  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2005, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

A backer panel made from luan/masonite/plastic. Design your panel. Cut and glue 1" upholstery foam to it for the thicker portions of the panel. Remove foam from area that sculpture/pleated section will fit. Glue your smooth covering over the foam and attach to main backer, usually staples/glue. Then make up the pleated portion fasten to a light backer and place into the depression left in the sculptured center part. Fasten this section to main panel. Again several ways, from snaps, cleats thru both pieces, staples,glue. Then apply carpet to lower section. Fabricate lower sculptured panel. light backer and foam then material. Fasten over carpet, up to the Pleated section. Fasten to main panel. Then the upper section is made similar to the last one except it has to be pulled over the top of the main backer and fastened on the back at the uppermost part

Last edited by BOBCRMAN@aol.com; 11-10-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Bob, your explaination is very helpful. If I could ask one more question:
In this picture are the arm rest constructed from dense foam and covered per your previous instructions, or should they be built from something different.
I am ready to get back to the interior on my coupe and this has been a metal block for me to this point.
Check my photo gallery for pics of what I have thus far.Any instructions, criticisms or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p113652_image_large.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	7776  
Old 11-11-2005, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

On something like that I would build the basic sculpture/armrest from laminated plywood and cover with a med dense foam. Armrests tend to function as door pulls too. The wood foundation keeps everything from pulling apart with use.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:11 AM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
A backer panel made from luan/masonite/plastic. Design your panel. Cut and glue 1" upholstery foam to it for the thicker portions of the panel. Remove foam from area that sculpture/pleated section will fit. Glue your smooth covering over the foam and attach to main backer, usually staples/glue. Then make up the pleated portion fasten to a light backer and place into the depression left in the sculptured center part. Fasten this section to main panel. Again several ways, from snaps, cleats thru both pieces, staples,glue. Then apply carpet to lower section. Fabricate lower sculptured panel. light backer and foam then material. Fasten over carpet, up to the Pleated section. Fasten to main panel. Then the upper section is made similar to the last one except it has to be pulled over the top of the main backer and fastened on the back at the uppermost part

Pretty close. I actually did the first panel. It is actually built using multiple panels, layered to give effect. One thing to note, it is not 1" foam, i use only 1/4" dense closed cell foam. To me, 1" foam would be way too "puffy" looking. The pleated section is actually on the base of the panel and the other portions are layered over it. They are what i call "hard pleats." To get a real crisp look, there is no foam used, just 2" strips of plastic spaced 1/8" apart. The leather is worked into the cracks to give it the crisp look.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:39 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies guys, they will be great help.
Mickm
Old 11-15-2005, 11:22 AM

Carpet binding?

Having trouble trying to bind carpet with vinyl. Vinyl does not seem to want to go around corners, even when I clip it in the inside curve.

Maybe we could impose on Krist to do a instructional piece, with pictures, like the fiberglass tutorial he did before. That would be a great help to me and probabally others.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.