Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mysterious A/C problem on 98 Cavalier 2.2L.
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for the quick reply LATECH. I checked this thread on my phone while I was out and grabbed a 12oz can on my way home. I just put it in and it brought my low pressure up to about 41, my high pressure was showing around 140 initially and 150 at the end of the can. The air temps came down considerably and my lines to the accumulator are finally condensating. I also found the manual control for the blend door in the dash with my hand and it was fully closed. Though I'm still convinced there is something else not working properly since my recirculate control doesn't increase fan speed and lower temps like it should. Also, I still can't get the compressor to give me that bogged feeling like it's fully engaged when I accelerate from a stop. It always use to feel like a dropped an anchor around 15 mph and there was no mistaking the sound.

Doing some reading I found out that I have the variable displacement V-5 compressor that has a mechanism that incorporates five axially oriented pistons and a variable angle wobble plate. Compressor displacement (piston stroke length) is controlled by the position of a bellows-actuated control valve in the rear head of the compressor. The control valve senses suction (low side) pressure. The difference between suction and crankcase pressure determines wobble plate angle, which in turn determines piston stroke and displacement.

I read the V5 compressor needs at minimal 47 psi to work properly. I'm thinking maybe what determines the displacement is malfunctioning due to inadequate low pressure. Perhaps it is not going to full displacement once the rpms are up when I'm driving. This could explain why I don't feel/hear the compressor like I always have previously when accelerating from a stop. I'll get another can and test it out.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.