Hot Rod Forum banner

Mysterious misfire

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bryan59EC 
#1 ·
Hey guys got a bit of an issue here and would appreciate any info. I seem to have a misfire occouring with my car under acceleration/load. It has a new dist. cap, wires, plugs and a new ignition module. I have ensured all wires and connections are tight. I am at a lost of what could be causing a misfire like this to take place ONLY under acceleration and going up hill, it is worst at higher rpms as well. Could you please maybe list some causes for a misfire in the conditions I am having it in? What else should I check right off the bat that would be a common reason for this to happen?

Thanks for all your help,
Keith

#4 ·
Rich & T
dunno about the fuel pump and filter

I'm having the same issues with my old Dodge
manual trans / 225
runs just great in 1st, 2nd, 3rd

in 4th (OD) misses badly-----just replaced the fuel pump yesterday, have a new filter on the seat to put in when I get back home (truck has pretty much lived at the airport for the last 4 months).

I also have new wires, plugs, cap, rotor.
I'm leaning to the Electronic Spark Control now------the "Lean Burn" computer on my old Cordoba (400 Lean Burn) just drove me nuts-----now my ol stodgy dodgy is doing the same thing.

#5 ·
Bryan59EC said:
Rich & T
dunno about the fuel pump and filter

I'm having the same issues with my old Dodge
manual trans / 225
runs just great in 1st, 2nd, 3rd

in 4th (OD) misses badly-----just replaced the fuel pump yesterday, have a new filter on the seat to put in when I get back home (truck has pretty much lived at the airport for the last 4 months).

I also have new wires, plugs, cap, rotor.
I'm leaning to the Electronic Spark Control now------the "Lean Burn" computer on my old Cordoba (400 Lean Burn) just drove me nuts-----now my ol stodgy dodgy is doing the same thing.
Since both are doing the same thing, I would suspect bad gas. Try a bottle of Heet or another gas additive. It's a cheap suggestion to rule out water in the tank.

#7 ·
S10 Racer said:
Since both are doing the same thing, I would suspect bad gas. Try a bottle of Heet or another gas additive. It's a cheap suggestion to rule out water in the tank.
Not bad gas----gets filled up every 150-200 miles.
Truck may be living at the airport most of the time-----but I do come home occaisionally :D

The Cordoba has been gone since the early 90s

(sorry for the hijacking, Keith :mwink: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.