Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Mysterious Orange/Golden Yellow Paint Color (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mysterious-orange-golden-yellow-paint-color-126396.html)

sleepyd 10-16-2007 06:00 PM

Mysterious Orange/Golden Yellow Paint Color
 
4 Attachment(s)
So, as I said in my introduction, I have a 1979 Chevy Stepside. It's in the middle of being patched up, having new body parts fitted and getting rust reformer sprayed all over before primer. Here's a couple pictures of the truck to give yoiu an idea of what it looks like:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...id=24931&stc=1 http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...id=24932&stc=1

Before the truck is primed, I obviously need to figure out what color paint I'm going to choose. Twice now, I've seen this sweet orange/golden yellow color that changes in different shades of light. I'm not sure if it's candy apple orange or some type of optical paint??? Any help would be appreciated. Here's the color orange I'm talking about:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...id=24929&stc=1 http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...id=24930&stc=1
http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/sh...cat/527/page/1


Any ideas what it is? I also found this blue color in the photo gallery that I like. Anybody know what it is?

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/sh...at/527/page/13


I'd make a poll here to let everyone vote on which color they would choose if i knew how :embarrass (edit: I figured it out...nevermind. Just had to goto the next page!)

75gmck25 10-16-2007 07:40 PM

It sounds like you want it to look something like the BASF Mystic paint they used on some of the Mustang Cobras.

http://mysticcobra.net/whatisit.shtml

Bruce

sleepyd 10-16-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75gmck25
It sounds like you want it to look something like the BASF Mystic paint they used on some of the Mustang Cobras.

http://mysticcobra.net/whatisit.shtml

Bruce

I've seen that Mystic paint on a few cars in person. It reminds me of oil and water thats settled in a pool on asphault. Looks cool, but don't think it's the same as that orange paint. And if it's used on Fords, it's not going on my Chevy :nono: hehe

I found another thread in this forum that talked about John Deere Blitz Black. I spent about an hour going through it. That's the color I originally wanted, but had no idea what it was called. Now that I found it, I've discovered the EPA has banned it in California :mad:

If I could find out what color that blue is I would go with that stuff. Looks simple and not too expensive.

Kim57 10-16-2007 10:37 PM

The orange looks like candy tangerine. Its what I'm thinking of putting on the 57 I'm building.
Kim

jcclark 10-17-2007 05:32 AM

I used a single stage urethane by Kirker that was very similar,
a little less "bling" but similar and much easier than a candy. :cool:

http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t=DSC03436.jpg

Bee4Me 10-17-2007 06:42 AM

try House of Kolor Tangelo pearl. :thumbup:

wildman1932 10-17-2007 06:55 AM

It is three stage pearl. We have our own custom mix that is kick a--. HOK also has a similar color that is not as kick a--, called Tanglo???
Dave Tallant Hot Rods KC Mo.

MARTINSR 10-17-2007 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyd
I've seen that Mystic paint on a few cars in person. It reminds me of oil and water thats settled in a pool on asphault. Looks cool, but don't think it's the same as that orange paint. And if it's used on Fords, it's not going on my Chevy :nono: hehe

I found another thread in this forum that talked about John Deere Blitz Black. I spent about an hour going through it. That's the color I originally wanted, but had no idea what it was called. Now that I found it, I've discovered the EPA has banned it in California :mad:

If I could find out what color that blue is I would go with that stuff. Looks simple and not too expensive.

First, "Mystic" isn't a "Ford" color. It uses a technology that is used in a number of different paint lines including "Chromalusion" "Kamilian" "Multitone" and so forth. So if you like it, it has nothing to do with Ford other than they were the first to use it in a production car. It is a simple BC/CC application and MUCH easier to apply than a three stage candy or pearl.

"Blitz black" may be non compliant in California ONLY because it is a cheap enamel paint. The COLOR "Semi gloss black" or "Flat Black" is NOT banned and you can apply it a number of different ways. Basically a bc/cc but with a "Matte" clear that has no or little gloss.

But I have to say switching from "Blitz black" to that orange is like changing your mind from an Aerostar mini van to a Viper. :)

Brian

sleepyd 10-17-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
First, "Mystic" isn't a "Ford" color. It uses a technology that is used in a number of different paint lines including "Chromalusion" "Kamilian" "Multitone" and so forth. So if you like it, it has nothing to do with Ford other than they were the first to use it in a production car. It is a simple BC/CC application and MUCH easier to apply than a three stage candy or pearl.

"Blitz black" may be non compliant in California ONLY because it is a cheap enamel paint. The COLOR "Semi gloss black" or "Flat Black" is NOT banned and you can apply it a number of different ways. Basically a bc/cc but with a "Matte" clear that has no or little gloss.

But I have to say switching from "Blitz black" to that orange is like changing your mind from an Aerostar mini van to a Viper. :)

Brian

An Aerostar mini van?!?!?!?! :smash: Are those words allowed on this website? :mwink:

I know the Mystic paint isn't a Ford color. I was just poking fun at Fords. No hard feelings. IMO that type of paint only belongs on cars like Vipers. Not so sure about a 5.0 Mustang. Trying to make something out of nothing, you know what I mean? :D

How hard would it be to three stage a truck with new front/rear fenders, doors, a hood and roll pan?

MARTINSR 10-17-2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyd


How hard would it be to three stage a truck with new front/rear fenders, doors, a hood and roll pan?

Realistically it would have to be painted all together. And PLEASE trail fit all those parts if you decide to paint it apart.

Brian

Chevrolet4x4s 10-17-2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57
The orange looks like candy tangerine. Its what I'm thinking of putting on the 57 I'm building.
Kim

Ditto Thats what I was thinking. :thumbup: Thats a nice truck. out of the two I would go with the orange black(and red) looks great on these trucks too

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Realistically it would have to be painted all together. And PLEASE trail fit all those parts if you decide to paint it apart.

Brian

If it were me I would paint it together but do the jambs first then close the doors and paint the rest but i would slide the bed back so that you could paint the back of the cab and front of the bed :thumbup: .
Shane

sleepyd 10-18-2007 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
Ditto Thats what I was thinking. :thumbup: Thats a nice truck. out of the two I would go with the orange black(and red) looks great on these trucks too


If it were me I would paint it together but do the jambs first then close the doors and paint the rest but i would slide the bed back so that you could paint the back of the cab and front of the bed :thumbup: .
Shane

Maybe I could get the painter to do a two-tone paint job with candy tangerine and Blitz Black. Right now, all the body parts and the bed are off the truck. We're gonna wrap the edges of the new body parts with tape and pre-fit them then paint them off the truck. Before that though, the entire cab, inside and out will be painted the same color. If it all goes as planned, it should turn out nice.

Aces'n'8s 10-19-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyd
Before the truck is primed, I obviously need to figure out what color paint I'm going to choose. Twice now, I've seen this sweet orange/golden yellow color that changes in different shades of light. I'm not sure if it's candy apple orange or some type of optical paint??? Any help would be appreciated. Here's the color orange I'm talking about:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...id=24929&stc=1


If that paint was accurate to early 70s GM/Corvette paint code information, I'm betting that color is ONTARIO ORANGE.

Aces'n'8s 10-19-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyd

Any ideas what it is? I also found this blue color in the photo gallery that I like. Anybody know what it is?

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/sh...at/527/page/13

Maybe Marina Blue?

pepi 10-19-2007 06:32 PM

royal blue with chrome trim.......... KILLER. but hay that is the color of the truck I will have so go with the orange cause I want to be different.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.