Mystery Bubble? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 03:21 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mystery Bubble?

Hi guys- it's been a while- I've lurked many times but everyone seems to get quick advice so I've remained silently reading. I'm hoping now that you can help me with a mystery bubble... As many know I've painted cars, bikes, murals and graphics for about 20 years. I did a bike in 2003 and the guy just noticed a 'mystery bubble' appearing on the side of the tank. The paint is Martin Senior base/clear deep red metallic. The bubble is not near the graphic or any bodywork. It is about the size of your little fingernail and raised only about a 32nd of an inch or less. It is not the clear only as it is red and perfectly round. He said it gradually grew over a 2 month period and has not grown any further. It looks like a gremlin got inside and tapped it once with a ball peen hammer! No other area on the whole bike is affected. Can anybody guess what could have caused it? I see no remedy but to repaint, although it is not discolored or very obvious - just a little bubble. I have pics but you can barely see it in them- it's a - 'you have to be there' - kinda thing. Any help is appreciated, guys!!! Thanks-DJ

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Not knowing what you prepped the metal with or used as an undercoating because it has not grown real fast I'm going to say its rust (speck) Gasing.
Caused by print left on metal or use of acid etch primer.
If you get rusty water out of it and goes to the metal when you blow on it, its caused by one of the two.

If you push the bubble will it disappear for a few minutes?

Short cut:
Pop it with a pen and mix some clear up and dab the pen hole.
Next day 2000 and had buff.

Who knows how long will last?
Old 10-27-2005, 03:36 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Nice trick Barry

Matthew
Old 10-27-2005, 03:40 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Thanks for the quick reply Barry- I sanded to bare metal, removed damage (not in this area) and used a good primer surfacer from Martin Senior followed by a sealer. There was no rust I saw, but you may be right that a speck could have formed (the humidty at the time was about 90% and it was my old drafty garage before the new shop!) I will mention this possible test/remedy to him and see what he thinks (he's in Colorado- I'm in Iowa!) and Thanks Barry! DJ
Old 10-28-2005, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon J
Hi guys- it's been a while- I've lurked many times but everyone seems to get quick advice so I've remained silently reading. I'm hoping now that you can help me with a mystery bubble... As many know I've painted cars, bikes, murals and graphics for about 20 years. I did a bike in 2003 and the guy just noticed a 'mystery bubble' appearing on the side of the tank. The paint is Martin Senior base/clear deep red metallic. The bubble is not near the graphic or any bodywork. It is about the size of your little fingernail and raised only about a 32nd of an inch or less. It is not the clear only as it is red and perfectly round. He said it gradually grew over a 2 month period and has not grown any further. It looks like a gremlin got inside and tapped it once with a ball peen hammer! No other area on the whole bike is affected. Can anybody guess what could have caused it? I see no remedy but to repaint, although it is not discolored or very obvious - just a little bubble. I have pics but you can barely see it in them- it's a - 'you have to be there' - kinda thing. Any help is appreciated, guys!!! Thanks-DJ
I had simular problems on offroad bikes, even with sticker graphics on their
petrol tanks, then I found Out the plastic tanks are manufactured with
microscopic holes in the plastic, for safety reasons so the tank can breave
to let the gas vapors escape, if it happens were theres a sticker it forms
a bubble.
Henry Moran.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.