mystery motor 427 Brian and Garrel discussion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

skinny trim rings

1971BB427, I have been looking for a pair of bobbed rear fenders for my 39 Chevy hotrod truck and haven't found anything that would have the look I am after. The chrome flares on back of your truck in the picture of your trim rings looks promising.Do you know the dimensions, width length etc and where you purchased them. I would want to scuff the finish and paint them Hotrod primer. When and if you have time I would appreciate any info.

Garrell Patterson

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrell.770
1971BB427, I have been looking for a pair of bobbed rear fenders for my 39 Chevy hotrod truck and haven't found anything that would have the look I am after. The chrome flares on back of your truck in the picture of your trim rings looks promising.Do you know the dimensions, width length etc and where you purchased them. I would want to scuff the finish and paint them Hotrod primer. When and if you have time I would appreciate any info.

Garrell Patterson
Not sure what you're looking at Garrell? That's my '71 Camaro, not a truck, and those are fiberglass painted graphite gray to match the car's color. No chrome.
They were sold through Hedman Headers in the early to late 70's, and have been on my car since 1975. I don't know of anyone selling them today.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:32 AM

Last photo:

skinny trim rings

Sorry 1971bb427, I guess I had trucks on my mind. From the rear I thought your flares might work. I am looking for a bobbed fender, something to go over the top of the tire and down a little front and back of the tires. The pic. from the rear of your car gives the appearance of chrome flares, fiberglass is actually what I am looking for. Your memory is a lot better than mine to remember where you purchased the flares after that many years.

Garrell
Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

No problem Garrell. After owning the Camaro since it was two years old there's not much I don't remember about it, and if I forget I've got a drawer with every receipt I ever got for the car including the original purchase papers.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

skinny trim rings

Impressed, no one thought about documentation back in those days. Not that you would ever sell, but all of the reciepts and other documentation would make the car more desirable.
I bought a new 1969 Z28 and a new 93 Z that I special ordered, yes it could be done then, and I bought a new 98 Z28. I am querious about the 427 in your user name, was your Camaro originally a 454 ci. car and you changed to a 427? I bought a red 67 SS Impala with a factory 427, 4 speed and 4:11 rear gear when it was two years old and had less than 14,000 miles on it. As heavy as it was it would pull the front wheels off the pavement with cheater slicks. The magazines in those days didn't talk about production numbers but there was only 1930 of the car built. I paid $1,000.00 for it and of the over fourty cars I have ownedin the same class, from the pictures and what I have read I think it might be my favorite. I won't bore you with details but because of some health problems I can't remember any of those cars, glad I took pictures of most of them and my younger brother has a great memory.

Garrell
Old 02-23-2012, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

No, my car was originally a SS396 car with 325 HP, which was a 402 back in 1971. The original owner had the dealership swap in the 427 crate engine, which was actually a 290 HP Corvette motor. I've always wondered why someone would make such a small change of HP and cubic inches, when it would have been cheaper to build the 402.
The receipts for the car show he paid $3400 for the car, and then gave them $857 and his new 396 for the 427 engine and install. Small amount today, but it was 25% of the price, plus his new 396 back then!
Not sure why I kept all the documentation over the years. It was for warranty at first, and then it just kept building in an envelope.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

With either engine with some head work or head change, intake, exhaust you could have it up to 375+ hp.You may have already performed some of this work. Because of insuramce regulations I know there was some detuning but wasn't the hp figured in a way to appear lower when in fact it wasn't. Anyway as long as there chevys there okay with me.
I take my SS Silverado truck to a high performance tuning shop on March 6 for several peformance modifications and dyno time. Hoping to pickup 50+ hp in preparation to run the inaugeral Ohio Mile landspeed meet. I ran at the last ever Maxton Mile last Oct. and set a new one mile landspeed record.That was ten months after I got out of a wheelchair after two years and graduated to a walker and then to my custom walking stick which I will use the rest of my life.

Garrell
Old 02-23-2012, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

In 1966 Chevy got 425 HP out of the 396 in stock Corvettes. I raced the Camaro for 16 yrs. and by the time I got into the high 11 sec. range I had done a few engine mods. Once I stopped racing and rebuilt the engine I dropped the CR to 9.5:1, and a little less duration on the cam, but it still dyno'd at 465 HP at the crank detuned. 427 and 396 are two of my favorite BBC engines.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=1971BB427]No, my car was originally a SS396 car with 325 HP, which was a 402 back in 1971. The original owner had the dealership swap in the 427 crate engine, which was actually a 290 HP Corvette motor. QUOTE]

Oops! I said it was a factory 290 HP 427, when I meant it's a factory 427 390 HP engine.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:13 AM

Last photo:

I owned a beautiful red 63 SS 409 Impala, 400 hp. There is something magical about the 409, I guess they were so few and they were almost a legend. I am sure you know the 348 ci developed into the 409 into the 396 and the 427 mystery motor was the grandchild of all of them. I was wondering about the horsepower rating you had mentioned for your 427, but it is the tork that is amazing isn't it.
You did not know you were acquiring a pen pal when you responded back about your fender flares did you.

Enjoy talking cars with you, Garrell
Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

Yes, I love the old W head 348, 409! I remember when the "mystery motors" showed up in drag racing, but never was certain if they were bored out 409, or the next gen 427.
Yeah, I could talk cars, and especially BBC forever!
Old 02-24-2012, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

Any time I can always bench race and talk cars.
Iam pretty sure the 427 mystery motor was a bored 409, they showed up at the Daytona speedway and broke all kind of records and sat on the pole and several up front positions. I can't remember but I think reliabilty was a problem at first, I am sure one of them didn't win the five hundred that year.

Garrell
Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Never Finished

Last photo:

In regards to the 427 topic there were 2 different 427 engines. The Z11 came out late in '62 if I remember right and saw some NASCAR and NHRA Super stock usage. This was a bored 409. This engine was a W head engine and not available in production cars bought by the general public. Many guys bought the Z11 cam for their 425 horse 409s. It had a radical idle.

The 427 Mystery Motor came out in early '63 for the Daytona 500 and was also used in the Corvette road racers that went only to special teams like Mickey Thompson. Below is a picture of the 427 Mystery Motor out of the '63 Mickey Thompson Corvette Z06. I believe it was first raced at Riverside in the Times GP. As you can see this was the forerunner to the production big block. Not 409 based.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ry=400.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	64279  
Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Never Finished

Last photo:

Here is the '63 Mickey Thompson Z06 that the 427 Mystery Motor was raced in. In this picture I think it had a 377 inch small block similar to the original engine in the 5 light weight Corvette Grand Sports that came out later in the year.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ry=401.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	64280  
Old 03-26-2012, 12:07 AM

Last photo:

Chevy engines now

You are correct there were two 427 c.i. engines, now remember I am operating on a rebuilt brain so to speak, my memory consist of everything I have read and watched the last 2 1/2 years. I thought the mystery motor was the one developed from the 409, the 409 was at it's peak in 1963 and the mystery motor showed up at Daytona and was way faster than anything and of course won the poll. But I think reliability was a problem and as fast as they were a car with that engine didn't win the race and I think Junior Johnson's car was one of the fastest. The true 427 did not show up for four more years, the engine that replaced the 409 in large bodied Chevys and Corvettes was the 396 c.i. until 1967. In 67 the 427 was first available in Corvettes, I bought a new 67 SS Impala with a 427-390 h.p. and I bought a 67 Corvette with a 427-400 h.p. in 1972. I would appreciate it if you do a little research and let me know what you find out, you may have read in one of my post before that "I try to learn at least one thing new each day" and your results could be one day's goal. I think Floyd Garretts Muscle car museum has one or both engines on display and he would certainly know the story about them. I don't know if he would accept a call or not but being the gear head I understand he is I bet he would. Please don't take offense at my remembering the legend of the 409 differently and the pictures of the engine
and the Corvette you posted may have come from Garretts museum.

Garrell

have in

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.