Hot Rod Forum banner

n00b Rear End Question

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Walmart Security 
#1 ·
Hi guys. Im new here and would like some opinions. I know you guys know way more than i do. (i dont know **** :D )

I have a 69 fairlane im working on. and currently im saving up to do the suspension and rear end at the same time. right now it has an 8 inch. it needs a new 3rd member and i want posi. i was gonna dump a 460 in it but now ive decided to drop in a 302 with maybe a road demon carb.... headers...and such. just a little beefed up. my tranny is a rebuily C4 wit a light shift kit. now i was wondering...should i save the extra cash and time and look for a 9 inch with posi? or stick with my 8 and get a posi 3rd member for it. i dont really know about the prices and dunno how many pay checks i should save. :(
im planning on buying a full suspension kit and have the rear end so i can get them installed together for the same price. any suggestions?

#3 ·
I was looking to do the same thing to my mustang. Had a 8-inch open rear 3.00 gears and wanted a posi with better gears. After looking into it I discovered what BOB said, they don't offer a lot for the 8-inch rear. I bought a 9-inch from a junk yard and rebuilt it with 3.70 gears and a new posi unit from <a href="http://www.reiderracing.com" target="_blank">www.reiderracing.com</a> . They were very helpful on the phone and made sure I had everything I needed right down to the friction modifier (posi lube).

#4 ·
hmmmm ok thnx so much guys! :D i cant wait to get my rear end replaced. i mean i rebuilt the tranny (C4) and the car still revs high but doesnt seem to want to go. Slips a little sometimes too. so if i went about getting a used 9 incher......about how much would i need to spend for everything? I work a part time job and i dont make **** money :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.