Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Name that paint app defect!
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 12:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

excellent. good to know! somewhat comforting having a problem that is easily diagnosed. luckily it's only in a few spots.

incidentally, i am using the purple Harbor Freight HVLP mini spot detail gun (SKU number 46719). I've never shot paint before from any gun, much less an HVLP. The clearcoat application was difficult to say the least, but looks great for the most part.

To get it 'wet' looking i had to put the gun very close to the surface and move it fast. If I backed up any it went on 'misty' and dry spray-ish. I think it's because I was using reducer that was too fast - DT870 in 85 degree weather. It was the one I was sold along with the clear. i just now read where dry spray can be caused by a reducer that is too fast.

So...Wednesday I called the folks and told them to send me some hot weather reducer. They sent me DT895. But then i looked in the tech sheet for my Global paint, and they suggest using D873 THINNER, not reducer. What's the difference? Is the D873 roughly equiavlent to the DT895?