Hot Rod Forum banner

NAPA selling ricer accessories

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  WakBordr7387 
#1 ·
Went into NAPA to buy an oil filter for my truck last weekend and saw a poster up by the parts counter that said they were selling import tuner parts. I was quite taken aback from this! I feel kinda violated that my sanctuary from the tuner croud has been taken away from me. Now I can't turn around without seeing a fiberglass body kit being listed "high performance" part. :rolleyes: Now I don't have anywhere safe to buy parts anymore.

I had a thought......Do you think NAPA is "cool" enought for ricers to been seen buying parts at? I mean it's no autozone :mwink:

#2 ·
Gotta do what ya gotta do to keep making money. Think of it this way if they don't do that you might end up with no NAPA at all. I don't like it believe me I hate having huge parts of a store taken up by over priced fiberglass parts or everything on the box has R X or Z after it cuase those letters are the fastest around.

Chris

#3 ·
Yep no auto parts store is safe from the ricers. I use autozone the most myself, and its usually pretty funny if you over hear a couple ricers talking to each other. I think if they are gonna carry rice parts they should do like the oriellys here does. Just have a small little corner of the store behind the counter that you have to ask employees to see an item. Ive never seen a ricer in ANY oriellys.

Brad

#4 ·
its usually pretty funny if you over hear a couple ricers talking to each other.
Thats one of the thing I hate about it. It annoys me to hear people who know nothing about their own cars (though they think they do) or within 10 mins to hear TURBO over and over again. Around here we don't have NOS freaks (thank You) but everyone and his sister wants a turbo this turbo that. However if it didn't come stock forget... it is out of reach then. I'll stop now before I rant.

Chris

#7 ·
I try to avoid the autozones, adavanced auto and other franchises for everything except oil and other "shop expendibles". There are a couple old-time privately owned parts shops here, and if I need something fast, they always seem to have it, and, they know how to look parts up in a book.

Funny story - I needed some chains for my engine lift, so I went to Advanced Auto and told them, I need some chains for my engine lift, you have them as part number ###. Well, the counter person immediately went to the computer and started the "What make/model/year is it?"... <sigh> She had to get a manager to find the chains, which were right behind her on a shelf...

Otherwise, online and catalogues specific to chevy seem to have the best selection and with overnight shipping, or even ground delivery times, it's not that big of a deal to wait.

Ricers are everywhere, muscle cars, rat rods, hot rods race cars are not. Businesses have to provide for the demand or the competition will take them out.

#8 ·
I saw a fast ricer once, it was in my rear view mirror. Stayed right with me no matter how fast I went. Might have had something to do with the chain that it was hooked to my car with...

My Fiance's kid got sucked into that aftermaket ricer crap. He was browsing in the used Boeing aircraft parts section and picked up a wing. He mounted it to his trunk lid and then proceded to complain that he couldn't keep it going straight down the highway at speed. Now it sits in the basement all cold and alone.

#10 ·
Sema

Apparently none of you tuned into the Sema show. The hotrod parts Mecca of the world. Well, tuner is in and in full swing. Edelbrock, Weld, AFR, Weiand, Holley, Painless, you name the company and they got their fingers in the pie. If you don't want to deal with a company that is not catering to the Tuners. Sell your car and get out your bicycle.

#13 ·
66Caprice said:
Funny story - I needed some chains for my engine lift, so I went to Advanced Auto and told them, I need some chains for my engine lift, you have them as part number ###. Well, the counter person immediately went to the computer and started the "What make/model/year is it?"... <sigh> She had to get a manager to find the chains, which were right behind her on a shelf...
Oh god thats funny!! The ricers around here usually go to a rice "speed" shop. Its a locally owned place that only sells rice parts. Im glad that they have their own shop. Because The other shops like oriellys and autozone would be overrun. I still see them in Autozone, but thats mostly because its right one the busiest street in town and just down the street from university. Being close to school is the only reason I use autozone more than orieillys.

Brad

#15 ·
66Caprice said:
Even Chevy's gone "R" with their new Roadster, It's an SS with an R. SSR...

On the SSR
They should ditch the R and call it something cool from Chevrolet's past... Apache. The Apache (think SSR without the ricer R and with the 5.3) and the Apache SS with the 390HP 6.0 (362ci) v8.

Or, Master/Master Deluxe... hmmm... anything is better than R .

Ricer Stores
The local speed shop even has ricer crap. At least it's only an aisle for that crap, 2 aisles for 4x4 "*******" (as my buddy calls em) trucks, and about 4 aisles for our v8s, they even have old 1970s crane cams, and some for GNXs. :drool: Kinda cool if you want an 100% era-correct 1970s rod. ;)

#17 ·
You think thats funny, there are all kindsof websites like that all they do is make fun of rice
herferito.com
ricecop.com
antirice.com
molestedcars.com
I found a ton of these just by typeing in "rice cars" in google. Im thinking of starting my own website of makeing fun of ricers.

Brad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.