Hot Rod Forum banner

Napa's "Exotic" Color changing paint. Help

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ChrisMiddleron 
#1 ·
Hi guys iv finally decided on the paint for my blazer im gonna be doing a color changing paint its really deep blue to a green. Iv got the black base, the guy Mike at the paint store said to scuff it after I spray it. What grit sandpaper should I useto scuff it? Iv got a few more questions though. Is this stuff easy to spray like regular paint? Are there any pointers? If I were to spray with a 50% overlap do you think ill be fine? If I want some light almost ghost pattern murals. COuld I just airbrush up murals in white base, (instead of all black) would I be able to see the murals after the paint is sprayed over it? Thanks, Chris

*How hard is kamelion paint to spray?

#2 ·
I have never sprayed it. We just had a job go thru the shop with that stuff. It was a green Trans-am with the camelion paint on the sides only. The paint on it was "green to purple". The paint cost us $295.00 for a pint! We had to replace one fender and repair a spot on the quarter panel. It was painted the original green first, then the camelion paint applied. Our painter insisted on doing that car at night, when he wasn't going to be bothered. He said that it really worked on his eyes because of the color change when he moved.

#4 ·
ive really tried to study what in thing to paint now a days is, (dont want to paint my car in last years ternd and date my paintjob...) and ive found that the exotic marques usually brake the ground first (remember the yellow hummer, and next year every SUV had copied the same color...) the trends in paints here in europe seems to be the mica (colour changing) paints that change red to red or blue to blue and gives a better chrominance and stands out look at the exotic brands for whats comming, the new lamborghini paints dont change from one color to another, but from really red to really red with really orange glow...

i think the harlequin colours are a thing of the past, i mean they came on OEM ford minivans in 96!!

#6 ·
Chris,
NAPA should have tech sheets for their products. The tech sheets should give you the info on both the primer and the paint.

I looked at the HOK tech sheets and the spoxy primer surfacer too 100 to 150 then reprime 2 or 3 more times and final wet sand with 320 to 400 grit. The Kameleon kolors take a 75% overlap, no sanding between coats.
Again, this is from a book and I haven't worked with the paint. Some of the experts on here need to chime up.

Just my opinion, there maybe a valuable piece of advice in anything someone writes or say. Don't turn a deaf ear and careful on aggressive attitudes. Youv'e been here long enough to know what is or isn't acceptable on the board.

Dutch:thumbup:

#7 ·
The way I understand it, you WILL get your murals, but they won't change color. Not using their ground coat will get you just a coat of panit over that area; it will not change color.

Just a guess, but maybe you could lighten up the ground coat (1/2 oz. of white to a pint of their black??) and have it still work using the charcoal grey as your mural.

Seth

#8 ·
YOu know what thats a damn good idea I have some oxford white left over I could mix in with it. I wasent try to make anyone mad. I just dont like people telling me whats in style and stuff like that. Im not a big fan of color changing paints myself but this one looks so damn pretty I couldent say no. Thanks, Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.