Narrowed C4 IRS.....camber question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 06:21 AM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last journal entry: C4 IRS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Narrowed C4 IRS.....camber question

Guys, I think for the most part I have this thing whipped. I narrowed the batwing 10" overall and will beef it up with 1/4" 6061 plating, tig welded to the outer portions covering the inner webbing. Narrowed each side 3". Installed the VPB lower camber links and Denny's half shafts. Have an idea for mounting the QA1's. Now for the questions.

Suspension travel: without notching the frame, the first thing to touch is the toe links, with 2 3/4" of travel up (compression) from rest. Should I alow more. I have a feeling I should have allowed more stroke, the trouble is, I was worried about ripping my fenders off so I went with the shortest QA1 with 4" of stroke....giving me about 2" of up travel (comression). Any thoughts?

QA1 mounting: I'm told, not to mount the QA1's off the factory shock mount, which makes sense to me. I have seen people make a sort of plate mount using the two bolts that support the dog bones (trailing arms). The trouble is, I really cant use the top bolt because it nearly touches the frame when the suspension is fully compressed. Its like a 1/16" away from frame. I could notch the outside of the frame slightly but I was wondering if it would work using the lower dog bone bolt and the factory shock mount instead, and just leave the upper bolt alone. Anyone mounted thier coil-overs this way?

Camber change: This is strictly an eyeball way of checking camber. Used a inclinometer. My camber tool is on its way. With the face of the rotor at 0 degrees at rest. On full compression of the suspension, 2 3/4" upward (compressed) motion, I lose 1 degree of camber and lose the same 1 degree when moving down 2 3/4". Total of 5 1/2 " of overall suspension travel. Is this acceptable? Any thoughts. New poly busings throughout already installed. I also noticed the forward bracket for the dog-bones flex a little. Not much but they do flex some.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.