Narrowed cam choice down to 2...... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 138
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Narrowed cam choice down to 2......

Hey guys, narrowed my cam choice down to 2 for my 383 build. Both are hydraulic roller

choice 1- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-CL110255/
choice 2- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL12-432-8/

-350 block 0.040" over and 0 decked
-Wiesco flat-tops +5.4cc
-6 inch scat I-beam rods
-Scat 3.75" stroker crank
-AFR 195cc aluminum heads with 72cc chambers
-0.040 compressed gasket thickness
-1.6:1 rockers
-Edelbrock rpm air gap intake manifold
-10.1:1 SCR
-Going into a 1980 camaro with a T56 6 speed manual trans.

I plan on adding a 100-150hp shot of nitrous as well once all set and done

Now I am leaning toward the Howards cam kit because it is nearly $200 cheaper and that $200 could be spent making more power in other areas. I can't seem to find the cam card specs for the howards cams anywhere though, I would like to know all of the info of that cam before making a decision such as IO,IC,EO,EC, and intake centerline. I would also like to know what my DCR would be with both cams so I must know the intake closing point of the howards cam as well. Does anybody know where I could find this information? The two cams are very similar from the specs they give, the comp cam appears to have a slight operating peak increase over the howards. Anyways what do you guys think I could expect to see in the difference in power between the two? The howards cam also has a wider LCA so would this make a big difference or what kind of numbers are we talking here? If anybody has experience with both or either of these cams or has a suggestion I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
Keith

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 17
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would not get a non billet cam. comp cams with a -8 are not billet. They are some sort of tempered iron (or something like that). I believe the cams with a -9 on the end are billet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM
ericnova72's Avatar
More for Less Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: S.W. Lower Michigan
Age: 47
Posts: 8,965
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 20
Thanked 378 Times in 347 Posts
Got a part # for the Howards Cam??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2010, 10:51 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 12,599
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 701
Thanked 890 Times in 757 Posts
750 double pumper, 1 3/4" long tube headers.
CompCams 12-423-8 juice roller retrofit (best numbers of 8 cams I tried in this motor) installed straight up. Valve lift 0.535"/0.544" with 1.6 rockers.
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...?csid=159&sb=0
Intake closes 38 ABDC @0.050" tappet lift.
Dynamic compression ratio 8.664:1 on KB calculator. (Use 0.040" squish and good fuel).

RPM HP TQ
2000 150 394
2500 190 399
3000 245 430
3500 312 468
4000 374 492
4500 432 504
5000 472 496
5500 501 479
6000 508 444
6500 483 390

Your 12-432-8 choice was down 10 ft/lbs at the torque peak and 17 ft/lbs at 2000. It made 511 hp, but that's not a good trade for the torque loss.

Last edited by techinspector1; 05-16-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 08:33 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
I thought the next larger Howards cam looked pretty good. 383SBC was looking @ the 110255, I liked the 110265, both are on a 112 LSA (wants to use nitrous)- the Comp is on a 110 LSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 AM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 29
Posts: 8,715
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 286 Times in 266 Posts
IMO a 110 LSA on a 150shot is okay, more than that and you'd want to look at going wider, but this is going to be run NA most of the time anyway I assume.

Cam selection is pretty close any way you go, I'd run a billet core if you are looking at total lift over .525" though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 138
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent feedback guys, thanks!! A couple things now......... I was under the impression that ALL hydaulic roller cams were made from billet steel thus the dramatic increase in price over a cast iron flat tappet cam. Nowhere do they say the material used so when you go to buy a hyrdualic roller cam and want it billet steel do you have to phone them and place a special order so you dont get the cast peice. Also, if I did go with the howards cam where can I even find out if their cam is billet or not when I cant even find the LSA for their cams. Maybe you could tell me, Cobalt, where you find your specific cam specs for Howards cams it would be of much help . I have to thank you techinspector for taking time out of your day to go through your desktop dyno and run those cams for me. Would you be able to post the results as you did for the comp 276 cam for the 282 cam? From the sounds of it the 276 in my motor would outperform the 282 almost entirely through the rpm range, I find this interesting. Also if I could find the specific cam specs for those howards cams maybe you could run those through (if you have time, ofcourse) and I could compare all 4 and see where the differences are. By the way what program are you using to calculate these dyno numbers and more importantly how accurate has it been for you in the past? This engine will be run N/A almost exclusively with the nitrous only activated when I'm feeling drowsy Thanks again guys for input here and keep it up as it will educate me in my decision!

Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383SBC
I cant even find the LSA for their cams. Maybe you could tell me, Cobalt, where you find your specific cam specs for Howards cams it would be of much help
It is in the link for the cam in post #1.

Quote:
"Lobe Separation (degrees) 112"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 17
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383SBC
Excellent feedback guys, thanks!! A couple things now......... I was under the impression that ALL hydaulic roller cams were made from billet steel thus the dramatic increase in price over a cast iron flat tappet cam. Nowhere do they say the material used so when you go to buy a hyrdualic roller cam and want it billet steel do you have to phone them and place a special order so you dont get the cast peice. Also, if I did go with the howards cam where can I even find out if their cam is billet or not when I cant even find the LSA for their cams. Maybe you could tell me, Cobalt, where you find your specific cam specs for Howards cams it would be of much help . I have to thank you techinspector for taking time out of your day to go through your desktop dyno and run those cams for me. Would you be able to post the results as you did for the comp 276 cam for the 282 cam? From the sounds of it the 276 in my motor would outperform the 282 almost entirely through the rpm range, I find this interesting. Also if I could find the specific cam specs for those howards cams maybe you could run those through (if you have time, ofcourse) and I could compare all 4 and see where the differences are. By the way what program are you using to calculate these dyno numbers and more importantly how accurate has it been for you in the past? This engine will be run N/A almost exclusively with the nitrous only activated when I'm feeling drowsy Thanks again guys for input here and keep it up as it will educate me in my decision!

Keith
From what I understand you will have to special order one of their 'race roller cam cores' to get the billet steel

if you go here on their site you can kind of see the -9 on the end of their billet cam cores

http://www.compcams.com/technical/CamCores.asp

I don't think it is much more to get the cam you want ground on the billet steel. I have a -8 cam in my car, and after I found out it wasn't billet I was not very happy.

FYI: I have the 12-422-8 (270HR) in my 383 and I think it is too tame. I will put the 276HR in it the next time the engine is out. On a billet core
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 78
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm curious; what warship were you riding in '72? Just so you know, I did my ship's reaction force training on an Adams DDG. I've always have had a soft spot for those. Those, and and Asheville gunboats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2010, 06:05 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 17
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinderDriver
I'm curious; what warship were you riding in '72? Just so you know, I did my ship's reaction force training on an Adams DDG. I've always have had a soft spot for those. Those, and and Asheville gunboats.
My current car is a 1972 Chevrolet corvette. The Chevrolet corvette is named after the corvette, a small, maneuverable warship.

FYI: I am registered at another forum specifically for corvettes, so as you could imagine all types of derivations of the word corvette was already taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2010, 04:01 PM
V8 Super Beetle's Avatar
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 33
Posts: 1,245
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Food for thought. On AFR's site they have the following listed. Take a look at the dyno graph to the left.

383 cid Small Block Chevy Package

AFR 195cc Street Cylinder Heads
9.5 to 1 Compression
1 3/4 Headers
Edelbrock #7101 and 0-4779 750 cfm Holley Carb
Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Cam #12-433-8
MSD Distributor 36 Timing
93 Octane Pump Gas




Same horsepower Tech came up with, but with 17 more ft lbs of torque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 78
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972warship
My current car is a 1972 Chevrolet corvette. The Chevrolet corvette is named after the corvette, a small, maneuverable warship.

FYI: I am registered at another forum specifically for corvettes, so as you could imagine all types of derivations of the word corvette was already taken.

My mistake. Now I'll know better than to ask if she'll keep the keel down with less than half a tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 138
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so now I have it down to these 2.............

http://www.summitracing.com/compare.aspx

Only difference being the 110 vs 112 LSA. With my application and the 6 speed trans with a max rpm of this motor being 6000, which cam would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010, 05:47 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 17
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383SBC
Ok so now I have it down to these 2.............

http://www.summitracing.com/compare.aspx

Only difference being the 110 vs 112 LSA. With my application and the 6 speed trans with a max rpm of this motor being 6000, which cam would you suggest?

link does not work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Howards Cams Greg T Engine 26 10-04-2009 12:28 PM
283 cam choice JohnyR17 Engine 5 01-08-2008 01:45 PM
383 cam choice HSR383TPI Engine 13 11-10-2007 09:11 AM
XE274H cam sound like? Heads Choice? Help me decide on combo for chevy 400 Warrant Engine 10 03-01-2006 02:58 PM
Cam choice for new GM 260hp crate motor Iceberg Engine 3 02-21-2005 11:03 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.