Narrowing a 9" on the cheap. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 09:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Narrowing a 9" on the cheap.

I have a 9" ford that I would like to narrow myself, but not spend the $300-500 for the alignment bars.......anyone have any luck doing it themselves and just having the axles resplined? It all boils down to having the bearing true and straight right? I have good equipment, but want to save cash on my first oddball project(read the 9" ford with 4.11 gears given to me). This isn't going to be a "drag car" although 400 hp and a red light race is not out of the question. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Critical thing is having the alignment tool to hold every thing in place when welding the housings..basically it is a straight section of tube with tapered sliding collars to support the housing on the straight and narrow so to speak..

Of course then cutting and resplining the axles is the other thing..

Personally I would consider that to be a PITA unless I was planning to do more that just one..By the time you make up the tooling to do a good job you will understand why the guy charges what he does to do that job..

OMT
Old 01-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

One cost cutting method is to find a factory Ford axle shaft that is shorter than the ones you are using. Fords have a long axle shaft and a short axle shaft.....in almost every rear end they produced. IF.......you keep the spline count the same and the bearing OD the same ...........cheap way to go.

I almost always use the 57 to 59 Ford car 9 inch rears under my projects. I rarely need to narrow one. They are 58 inches wide.....the narrowest 9 inch Ford available from the Ford factory....measured this way.....

BUT.......a 65 - 66 Ford car axle shaft.....the short one......is 1 inch shorter than the 57 long axle shaft........so I get a factory cut axle shaft that is one inch shorter.........without resplining.... So......that leaves the 65 - 66 long axle shaft to have resplined shorter than the 57 short axle shaft......

Moser gets around $100 to narrow a housing and $65 to respline a axle shaft. ....so for less than $200 I can get my 57 Ford ( that was 58 inches ) narrowed down to 55 inches ( which is pretty narrow ) ......or add another $65 for the second axle shaft and be less than $250.....not counting shipping.

....and there are lots of companies that narrow rears....... I just mentioned Moser because they are fairly close to me and I have had good results....

Old 01-14-2006, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

$250.00 ??????? I got a quote from someone in my area and it was $500.00 to to narrow the axle and order 2 axle shafts to fit (excluding shipping). Should I be going somehwere else?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY GRAPE
$250.00 ??????? I got a quote from someone in my area and it was $500.00 to to narrow the axle and order 2 axle shafts to fit (excluding shipping). Should I be going somehwere else?

YES.........

http://www.moserengineering.com/mose...opservices.htm

Scroll down the page and look at the prices.....
Old 01-16-2006, 06:05 AM

Last photo:

As the left axle is 4 inches shorter than the right, find a set up 8 inches narrower than you need and swap axles. then you only have to shorten one.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

I have a jig, and I still generally have Moser do them. I check them when they come back, and have never had one off enough to matter. The axles are always perfect.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.