Narrowing/Moulding bumper pics - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2003, 11:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Narrowing/Moulding bumper pics

Sup pepoz. This week im going to narrow, mold, and make the bumpers as snug as I can to the body. Im hoping you guys could give me any tips or info. If you see anything wrong to please tell me. So here it goes I got the bumper, bolted it on, and measured it. Both sides of the bumper had a total 3 inch overhang. I cut about 2 1/2 out of the center of the bumper. Then I separated the bumper from the thing the mounts the bumper to the car. Then I re-drilled to mounting holes on the bumper re-bolted it so it was snug. http://groups.msn.com/BettaPics/shoebox.msnw?Page=2

The bumper will me grinded smooth, and clean. Tomorrow I will shorten the mounting things to the bumper will bolt snug all the way around the car.

Anything yall wanna say just say it. Thanks, Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2003, 07:29 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Chris...I just want to say that what you are doing so far looks good. Instead of redrilling all the holes in the bumper for mounting. Why not just drill one, temprorarily mount the bumper, pull the bumper irons off the frame, weld the brackets solid to the inside of the bumper, grind off the bolt head then fill that. This way you will have a smooth bumper with no bolts showing. It will take a little more work but will make for a cleaner job. Just a suggestion. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

Kevin
Old 08-24-2003, 08:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I agree with Kevin, but there is a little different way I have dont it in the past. Basically what you do is cut the heads off of the bolts, and run a nut all the way down on the bolt. Now set the bolt in the bumper hole so it is recessed about 1/16 inch. Then, weld the bolt in from the front of the bumper by filling the 1/16 inch hole. Now, just grind it flat. What this will do is just make studs on the bumper to go through the mount. Hope i explained it well enough. I did this on the 57 in my photo album. Turned out real slick.

Chris
Old 08-24-2003, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

Hmm sounds good guys thanks for the info. Ill go ahead cut the bold heads and weld them into the bumper. I think im also gonna have to somewhat cut the mounting bracket to make the bumper shorter in the rear. Ill keep the pics coming, and look at the photo's thanks
Old 08-27-2003, 11:40 PM

Last photo:

My bad I haven't posted anything up I ran into some uhhh.. technical difficulties with my grinding system. It ain't working. I smoothed out the gears and need to get new ones. I need to get the 6" grinder up to smooth the pits, and rust out. Ill be posting some info soon.

Thanks, Chris
Old 09-21-2003, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

AHAHAHAHA. The rear bumper was bent in the middle so I tried to cut the really bent areas out. I just got my mig welder and grinder within weeks so im good to go. Here are pics of the narrowed rear bumper

http://groups.msn.com/BettaPics/shoebox.msnw?Page=3

I am gonna fiberglass it round, and to the body of the car soon so I can get out all imperfections and make it perfect. Thanks, Chris
Old 09-21-2003, 08:20 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Chris...it looks like what you are doing you are going about it the right way. You just might have a future in the automotive industry. Keep up the great work and keep us posted with pics. BTW how did you strip the Pinto? Chemical, sanding, sandblast? Looking good.

Kevin
Old 09-21-2003, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

I Chemical stripped the car with about 10 gallons of Klean strip aircraft paint stripper. The stuff most auto parts stores carry. The car had about 7 layers of primer / paint / and clear so this time around my dad and I agreed it had to go. Then after I got most of the paint off I used some 3m abrasive paint & rust remover discs to grind to a shine. Cya, Chris

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.