Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Project street rod Bronco
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 03:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Project street rod Bronco

Maybe this forum is better suited for my question.

I would like to start a project street rod truck. I would like narrow/tub.

I realize that purchases are unique for each application.
However I have a chance to pick up some parts from a fellow that is not going forward with his project.

I have a spare frame that I would like to do the modifications on, and later transfer the body to. Without having the body prepared to start stuffing tires under and measuring for widths I will need to approach it via measure ments.

I want to see if it is possible to use the rear end that he has narrowed already. He also has the wheels and tires that I would like to use.
At this point I believe with a few quick measurements that the current set up appears to be about 4 inches too wide.

Even if I can't use everything I still would like to pick up many of the parts that he is selling. (- the rear housing?)

I will do this to an old style Bronco... right off the bat the stock frame is straight above the rear axle, I'll need to c channel to allow the truck to sit lower.

To stuff `18 tires I will need to offset this C channel by one inch inboard. I also would like to make sure the wheels are centered in the rear uncut wheel well so I may need to move the axle back around an inch or so...

I would like to mock this up on paper (cad) once all is determined go forward.
Can anyone that has done this chime in... Need to understand the approach others have used.

I also want to convert this to mustang II type suspension in front. For all the modifications the fabrications would be easier without the body to worry about.

It appears that it may be more difficult to attempt this on just a frame. Maybe this is not the best approach? Is it best to have the body unmounted and set back on the frame along the way to be used as a constant reference?

Thanks,

-Ed