Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Project street rod Bronco
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 08:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77bronco_ed
Thanks for the measuring and pinion tips...

There is no way that I can use the wheels and tires I want without narrowing the housing. I am going for Pro street type of truck. The wheels/tires combo were selected on appearance and the deal I got.. The rear housing will need to accomodate. 18" wide Sportsman S/R radial and Centerline warrior wheels

As the other fellow said many folks buy the wheels they want and work backwards to figure out the appropriate width for the rear. Same here, only want to do the drive train on a spare frame and transfer the body onto it once the drivetrain is complete. The fellow I am purchasing many parts from has a housing but I will not be able to use it unless I narrowed it further and bought new axles.
So I am not purchasing it... Once parts arrive I can determine the width I need.

In the mean time, I figure I would try to get some advice

Thanks
Well that's cool, but it might not work out depending on the back-spacing of your wheels.

You will have to determine the overall outside measurement, outside tire bulge to outside tire bulge that will fit in the wheel wells where you want them. Then set your mounted tire/wheels that far apart and measure the distance between the wheel centers to determine the overall width of the rear end, axle flange to axle flange, including the brake rotor or drum, etc.

Also you must know what the inside measurement is from inside of the tire bulge. Leave yourself about 2" between the frame rails and each tire bulge. That will tell you how far apart the frame rails can be.

If the back spacing is to much on your wheels, you may not have enough room for the suspension components.

Take your time and think it out. The cheapest, the easiest, and the best route to go are rarely the same.