Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Project street rod Bronco
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriv
Well that's cool, but it might not work out depending on the back-spacing of your wheels.

You will have to determine the overall outside measurement, outside tire bulge to outside tire bulge that will fit in the wheel wells where you want them. Then set your mounted tire/wheels that far apart and measure the distance between the wheel centers to determine the overall width of the rear end, axle flange to axle flange, including the brake rotor or drum, etc.

Also you must know what the inside measurement is from inside of the tire bulge. Leave yourself about 2" between the frame rails and each tire bulge. That will tell you how far apart the frame rails can be.

If the back spacing is to much on your wheels, you may not have enough room for the suspension components.

Take your time and think it out. The cheapest, the easiest, and the best route to go are rarely the same.
Outside bulge to outside bulge...I was going to allow .5" of clearance from inner wheel lip per side. Do I need to add anything extra since they will not be under the weight of the vehicle?

2" clearance bulge to frame, that sounds like quite a bit... I was thinking 1" was conservative. Why so much? there should not be any items protruding from frame rail near tires. I'll need to move the frame inboard at least 2.5" per side inboard.

backspacing is 5" on 15 inch wide rims

-Ed

Last edited by 77bronco_ed; 08-02-2010 at 08:17 PM.