Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Narrowing the rear end
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 01:18 PM

Last journal entry: Brakes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The question on narrowing rear end housings seems to come up a lot and the right answer seems to be that you need a jig (or a professional shop) to do it right. I'm thinking of trying it at home anyway.

I got a Ford 9" housing (for free) that is pretty beat up - it has cuts THROUGH the bottoms of the housing tubes where someone hacked off spring perches and shock mounts. The way I figure, if I were just to weld them up I would most likely warp the housing anyway, so I think I'll try my hand at shortening or replacing the tubes altogether. Then I can post whatever I learn here.

When I searched this board I found that someone recommended inserting a steel bar through the end of the housing to keep everything aligned while welding. Is there a reason an old pair of axle shafts wouldn't work?

On the web page below the writer used a sleeve inside of the axle tube as well as the steel bar method:

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/yjrcdana60/

I'm taking any advice anyone might have before I start hacking on this thing. Thanks!

Keahi