Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Narrowing the rear end
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 12:36 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

i narrow rear ends for oval track racing applications, usually the 9" ford, i have a solid "true" 1" shaft that goes completely through the housing, also 2 steel adapters that fit into the bearing ends, lastley i use a 3rd member with 2 more adapters bolted into the 3rd member, all adapters have a precise 1" hole. this seems to work well. another thing is to make sure the houseing your useing is reasonably straight before you start (makes it much easier) after you've cut out what you want and have everything ready to weld. use some old pipe over the 1" shaft where you're welding to keep splatter off (i learned the hard way!!!!!) take your time welding to avoid warpage (usually takes me 2-3 hours to weld one) if you do have some warpage, you can straighten it with a torch/porta power/chain(useing your "jig" to know when it's straight) and patience or take it to a machine shop with a crank shaft straightener.

i've done many, many this way over the last 5 years, hope this helps...........steve