Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Narrowing Rearend for G body
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Narrowing Rearend for G body

I am narrowing the 8.8 that is in my 86 cutlass to fix the pinion offset. I have purchased an alignment bar with the appropriate hubs. These are the measurements I have taken so far.

Ford 8.8
*Total width was measured from axle flange to axle flange (where the brake rotor sits): Total Width: 59"

The distance from the housing flange where the brake assembly bolts to the housing to where the rotor actually sits is 2.5" per side. (Total 5")

The distance from the Driver side housing flange to the center of the pinion: 28 7/8"
The distance from the Passenger side housing flange to the center of the pinion: 25 1/8"

28.875"+25.125"+5"=59" So my math for total width checks out for the 8.8"
It also tells me that the difference between the two sides is 3.75". So the pinion is offset 1.875" to the passenger side from center?

GM 7.5" G-Body
Total width Measured same way as above: 57 5/8" (I have seen most sites say 75 1/2"? I imagine the 1/8" difference is negligible and probably human error?)

**Most sites I have seen say that the pinion is offset 1/2" to the passenger side on these stock G-body rearends.

I measured from the Center of the pinion nut to both the passenger and driver side axle flange where the brake drum sits:
Driver: 29 3/8"
Passenger 28 1/4"
Difference: 1.125 so 9/16"? (Pretty close to 1/2")

What do you guys think about cutting the 8.8 down to 58" (Slightly wider than the stock ~57.5") And then all I do is find the middle of the total distance and add a half inch to the driver side and subtract a half inch from the passenger side to get my 1/2" offset to the passenger side.

so.....

Ford 8.8

58" total length from axle flange to axle flange.
58"-5" = 53" from housing flange to housing flange.
Driver Side 27"
Passenger Side 26"
One inch difference between each side so 1/2" from the center. The only that will stink about this is that I will have to add some metal (7/8") to the passenger side but can be taken from the (1 7/8") I need to take out from the driver side.

This is my first time so let me know what you guys think that have done this before. I wanted to get some more opinions before I put the rearend under the chop saw.

I was also thinking since I need to get new axles why not get the c clip eliminators that replace the outer housing ends with the bigger 9" bearings. Im not quite sure how they work or if I will really benefit from them. With disc brakes the caliper will hold the wheel on if the axle brakes wont it?

Thanks for your input,

Shane