Hot Rod Forum banner

"NASCAR Talk 2011"

90K views 394 replies 38 participants last post by  dinger 
#1 ·
I don't know how you all felt about todays race, but I didn't like it, except with the winner. I felt like I was watching some kind of automotive roller derby. I wish they would open the restrictions up to where a guy can pass a car, based on how much H.P. he makes, just like the old days. This sucks today. :smash: I watch about 3 NASCAR races a year, I like the long tracks, but I will quit wasting my time.

#152 · (Edited)
poncho62 said:
Ya think Jimmie Johnson wears the same get up under his driving suit?..... :D
No, but Gordon............oh never mind. :mwink: :D

More rain again Friday, river's are flooding already. One has to ask, How cold can it be and not snow? A: Add 20 mph wind and a cold front. Dodged a tornado here last week by 2 mi. did some damage in the next town but nobody hurt. 60ft. steel power poles bent over. I think it's going to be a bad year for weather in the mid west. Good thing I got a mudder truck to play with. :D

#153 · (Edited)
Where did I say foreign cars were okay outside Nascar? I can speak for myself just fine thanks.
And no, I never said they didn`t try to cheat in pro stock either as I didn`t say anything other than to me a drag race is a competition. I didn`t say anything about anybody cheating or not cheating in drag racing. Gez, I must be awful dumb,, they only cheat in nascar, nobody else even thought of cheating. If you believe I think like that YOUR in a dream world. You don`t know me, but you seem to find it easy to speak for me. I used to drag and mud race and according to you I never thought or suspected anyone was cheating.

#154 ·
DoubleVision said:
I`ve always looked as NASCAR as a joke. I find it rather boring to see a car go round and round. The only excitement is the last lap so there`s no point in seeing the other 499 laps. Now it`s become just about on the same par as prefessional wresting and reality shows. They are trying to get the fans to come back as they`ve already realized they are losing fans fast and that`s likely because some finally realized there`s nothing competitive about NASCAR.
The same clown wins every week. The guys out front have all the big name sponsors. The guy in the back with just a few sponsors has no chance of winning and he knows it and everybody else does to. Nobody knows his name either. So If we put him in one of the leaders cars he could place or win like the rest of the phonies do proving it`s not just the driver, it`s the car too.
They`ve also gotten cheating down to a science as corrupt as people are today with the kind of money these guys make to do nothing I wouldn`t be surprised if a few tech inspectors have been bribed.
A drag race, take off and who gets there first, that`s competition. Seeing a bunch of taxi cabs make left turns all day is boring. Since NASCAR was born and bred here in America, no outside company`s should be allowed to compete. But Nascar wasn`t about to turn down the millions offered by Toyota.
The fact that you mentioned Toyota and drag race in the same post was mis-understood I believe. :eek:

I heard a rumor that the Toyota's are running a SBC or the engines were designed on the SBC engine blocks. Is that rue or false? I mean, if you race chariot's with the Romans, don't you need to run what the Roman's run?

To live at 9,500 rpm you sure don't want an arrow in the heel! :D

#155 ·
My opinion on the Toyota thing....If they can compete, the more power to them....Hey, why not Mercedes and BMW too...they have v8s.....3 or 4 more brands would be great...It was great when Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Hudson, AMC were all in there......I figure Chrysler is on the way out of NASCAR again soon, only a couple of teams left driving them.

#156 ·
"NASCAR talk 2011

DoubleVision said:
Where did I say foreign cars were okay outside Nascar? I can speak for myself just fine thanks.
And no, I never said they didn`t try to cheat in pro stock either as I didn`t say anything other than to me a drag race is a competition. I didn`t say anything about anybody cheating or not cheating in drag racing. Gez, I must be awful dumb,, they only cheat in nascar, nobody else even thought of cheating. If you believe I think like that YOUR in a dream world. You don`t know me, but you seem to find it easy to speak for me. I used to drag and mud race and according to you I never thought or suspected anyone was cheating.
Well if you think NASCAR is the only one loosing fans, look at the stands at an NHRA event. The winter nats were half empty the next race worse, they hardly take a picture of the stands at either.
You must be watching a different NASCAR race than me, I haven't seen the same guy win twice let alone every race this year. The Daytona 500 had over 70 lead changes and there were a bunch of guys that don't lead much up in front.
You are right they all push the rules, but not as much as they use to. I still like to watch both, it's show business, it is what it is.

Bob

#157 ·
"NASCAR talk 2011

poncho62 said:
My opinion on the Toyota thing....If they can compete, the more power to them....Hey, why not Mercedes and BMW too...they have v8s.....3 or 4 more brands would be great...It was great when Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Hudson, AMC were all in there......I figure Chrysler is on the way out of NASCAR again soon, only a couple of teams left driving them.
poncho, I think Mercedes and BMW, are too deep in other racing to get into NASCAR.
I don't think we will see the others again for sure, and I wouldn't count Chrysler out yet, they are planning ahead to 2013,

Bob

#158 ·
The Dodges are scarce- except at the front of the pack! They came within a whisker of winning it all last year, I sure hope they stick it out. Kurt's Dodge is leading the points so far this season, so they do run well.

I'd laugh like hell if Honda got into NASCAR. They'd win within three years. Not just a race- the whole shebang!

Look what Honda did in AMA motorcycle racing. They cam into the series complete noobs and within a very short time had dominated the H-D teams until it was sad to watch.

Then they quit, just as quickly as they started- after proving their 'point'.

#161 · (Edited)
emazingli said:
I just wondering why Honda didn't join in the Nascar? They have nice and fast cars just like my civic. :confused:
While Honda's Civic may not meet NASCAR specs, I can see two distinct possibilities: an Acura-based NASCAR race car (something I've not heard mentioned), and a Honda truck to race in the CWTS.

If/when NASCAR goes to EFI, I believe Honda will follow. I'm reasonably sure they're aware of the possibility of a backlash against them should they come out and kick A and take names, so they'd likely use a "Mikey Waltrip-type" entrance- i.e. start out w/an 'iconic' figure behind the team.

#162 ·
"NASCAR talk 2011

cobalt327 said:
While Honda's Civic may not meet NASCAR specs, I can see two distinct possibilities: an Acura-based NASCAR race car (something I've not heard mentioned), and a Honda truck to race in the CWTS.

If/when NASCAR goes to EFI, I believe Honda will follow. I'm reasonably sure they're aware of the possibility of a backlash against them should they come out and kick A and take names, so they'd likely use a "Mikey Waltrip-type" entrance- i.e. start out w/an 'iconic' figure behind the team.
There are rumors that there will be two EFI races this year.
You maybe right on a name, I hope it's not Waltrip, Can't stand that guy, Besides waltrip was saved by Gibbs. when he came over to Toyota. Waltrip only has one good car now.IMO

Bob

#163 ·
cobalt327 said:
Possibly since they have abandoned F1 and soon, I would bet, IRL ...............but please - not a Waltrip in the name!!! Either one is enough to make me gag

#164 · (Edited)
"NASCAR talk 2011

Irelands child said:
Possibly since they have abandoned F1 and soon, I would bet, IRL ...............but please - not a Waltrip in the name!!! Either one is enough to make me gag
Dave I see we agree on the Waltrip's.

I don't know how much Honda will jump in as this quake in Japan has hit the car makers big time. They were up in that part of the country, and I know that cars are a small part of both Honda, and Toyota, they might have to pull in the check book some.

A friend of mine worked for Gibbs, in the engine dept., he said when Toyota came in it was just like someone turned on the water, money was no object. If you wanted it you got it.

Bob

#165 ·
I really don't think you will see Honda in NASCAR. They have nothing to gain, they have no push rod V8 (neither did Toyota) and the economy is in far worse shape now, they have no truck, could use a Accord in Cup, but especially since the technology is so outdated, they have nothing to gain.

Honda claims to welcome the competition in Indy Car, time will tell though.

I especially can't stand the Waltrip Boogity crap at the start of the races.

#166 ·
35terraplane said:
Dave I see we agree on the Waltrip's.

I don't know how much Honda will jump in as this quake in Japan has hit the car makers big time. They were up in that part of the country, and I know that cars are a small part of both Honda, and Toyota, they might have to pull in the check book some.

A friend of mine worked for Gibbs, in the engine dept., he said when Toyota came in it was just like someone turned on the water, money was no object. If you wanted it you got it.

Bob
That is the part that bothered me the most when Toyota got in, they threw the money around for teams to buy the best people they could steal away from other teams. I have no illusions about GM, Ford, and Dodge supporting teams but it is nowhere the level Toyota was spending.
Toyota so bad wanted a Championship in the Truck Series (to sell new trucks), they paid a lot of money to encourage the change to their equipment. Ford and Dodge barely exist in the series and Chevy is far from where they were a few years ago.

#167 ·
"NASCAR talk 2011"

1ownerT said:
That is the part that bothered me the most when Toyota got in, they threw the money around for teams to buy the best people they could steal away from other teams. I have no illusions about GM, Ford, and Dodge supporting teams but it is nowhere the level Toyota was spending.
Toyota so bad wanted a Championship in the Truck Series (to sell new trucks), they paid a lot of money to encourage the change to their equipment. Ford and Dodge barely exist in the series and Chevy is far from where they were a few years ago.
T you hit the nail on the head there, when Nascar let Toyota in, Jack Roush, said they would try and buy the cup, Only trouble they haven't had anyone close the deal. :sweat: :eek: :thumbup:

Bob

#169 ·
"NASCAR talk 2011"

cobalt327 said:
Last time I looked, Toyota was the owner (Pile Bush) and manufacturers champion in CWT. I'm not a Toyota fan, but I'll give the devils their due.
Yes you are right, but that's really not what they wanted, I think we all know they wanted the cup series, But they did dump a lot of money in the trucks, I guess Ford and Dodge didn't think it was worth it, as putting that much into something, that wasn't watched that much, or sold that many trucks for them. Ford does pretty good on the sales end as far as trucks go.

Bob

#171 ·
"NASCAR talk 2011

poncho62 said:
Bristol this week.....Bashin' and crashin'
Poncho, I hope there's more than there was today. Biggest thing today J Jo Cobb walk away because she would not start and park. I say good for her, those that do that should not get paid. Sure they don't have the cars to compete, but at least it gives the drivers some seat time, NASCAR and the fans a bigger field, more cars to get in the way on a short track.JMO. :rolleyes: :mwink: :D

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.