Hot Rod Forum banner

"NASCAR Talk 2011"

90K views 394 replies 38 participants last post by  dinger 
#1 ·
I don't know how you all felt about todays race, but I didn't like it, except with the winner. I felt like I was watching some kind of automotive roller derby. I wish they would open the restrictions up to where a guy can pass a car, based on how much H.P. he makes, just like the old days. This sucks today. :smash: I watch about 3 NASCAR races a year, I like the long tracks, but I will quit wasting my time.

#202 ·
Bob - except for the last few laps, I'll respectfully agree to disagree. A two car draft (and occasionally three) getting together bumper tag wise and blowing by several other pairs, just is NOT, IMHO automobile racing. Yeah, it can be exciting, the drivers don't like it and from the empty seats in the stands, economy not withstanding, the fans aren't exactly happy either. I would much rather see a one mile track like Martinsville or Richmond or New Hampshire or either of the road courses where a TEAM puts together a competitive combination to run at the head of the pack.

Will I watch these races - sure, it's been coded to my genetics, but there are better............ :sweat:

Dave W

#204 ·
"NASCAR talk 2011

sqzbox said:
My wife (BIG FAN) says, Why don't they just chain the cars together like the chain race at the demo derby? To her, it looks the same. I watched the first 80 laps, fell asleep, and woke up for the last 5. Pretty well saw the whole race right there! :D
Every one likes something different, all the racers around here think it's great.
I used to go to Daytona, and watch the train go around, very few passes, a big wreck that would take out half the cars. Now that to me is boring. Sure the drivers might not like it, but they are paid to put on a show. The trouble with TV is you only get to see were the camera is pointing, it gives you no sense of speed, racing is all about passing trying to get to the front, it's not about hitting the wall or wrecking.

Dave we will have to agree to disagree, I don't think the stands aren't full because people don't like that type of racing, you look at any track and they have lots of seats open. Bristol which use to be to be the hardest track to get tickets too is not sold out. I think it's got more to do with the price of gas and lack of money. Bristol unless you camp you have to stay 100 miles away, a package for two is $1800.00, I have tried to get tickets, but sure won't pay that.

Look at the stands at a NHRA race they are not full, you do pay different at their races, pay to get in, then pay for a seat. I live at the most 10 miles from Brainerd, but when the new owner took over and I lost my free tickets to get in, VIP parking by the tower, and free seating in the tower I quit going.
I can watch it on Tivo, and don't have to spend all day out there for three days, did that enough when I was racing.

Some guys say they would like to see NASCAR, do like they did in the old days more or less run what you brung, they forget there might be 2 or 3 cars on the lead lap and that's it. When Danica came in 3rd or whatever to have the best finish by a women in a NASCAR race, she came in one place in front of the other women, that woman was 7 laps down. That's not great racing.

I had tickets at Kansas, since it started, up until last year, another race where no one passed, boring. The real short tracks are fun to watch but they have to have the big ones too. there are only two super speedways so they only are at most four weekends out of a long season, you may as well get use to them as I don't think they will change anytime soon.

Bob

#205 ·
35terraplane said:
Every one likes something different, all the racers around here think it's great.
I used to go to Daytona, and watch the train go around, very few passes, a big wreck that would take out half the cars. Now that to me is boring. Sure the drivers might not like it, but they are paid to put on a show. The trouble with TV is you only get to see were the camera is pointing, it gives you no sense of speed, racing is all about passing trying to get to the front, it's not about hitting the wall or wrecking.

Dave we will have to agree to disagree, I don't think the stands aren't full because people don't like that type of racing, you look at any track and they have lots of seats open. Bristol which use to be to be the hardest track to get tickets too is not sold out. I think it's got more to do with the price of gas and lack of money. Bristol unless you camp you have to stay 100 miles away, a package for two is $1800.00, I have tried to get tickets, but sure won't pay that.

Look at the stands at a NHRA race they are not full, you do pay different at their races, pay to get in, then pay for a seat. I live at the most 10 miles from Brainerd, but when the new owner took over and I lost my free tickets to get in, VIP parking by the tower, and free seating in the tower I quit going.
I can watch it on Tivo, and don't have to spend all day out there for three days, did that enough when I was racing.

Some guys say they would like to see NASCAR, do like they did in the old days more or less run what you brung, they forget there might be 2 or 3 cars on the lead lap and that's it. When Danica came in 3rd or whatever to have the best finish by a women in a NASCAR race, she came in one place in front of the other women, that woman was 7 laps down. That's not great racing.

I had tickets at Kansas, since it started, up until last year, another race where no one passed, boring. The real short tracks are fun to watch but they have to have the big ones too. there are only two super speedways so they only are at most four weekends out of a long season, you may as well get use to them as I don't think they will change anytime soon.

Bob

You can bet the price of every thing has cut attance and as to over half the drivers being on the lead lap do a way with the lucky dog and wave around and see how many you have on the lead lap. :rolleyes: OH yes I go back to the run what you brung age grope. :thumbup: DID'T cost a arm and leg to get in and gas woun't 4-5 dollars eather and yes the stands were full if not to watch the race then to see who got his a** kicked when they were dumb and tryed some of the crap some do now. :thumbup:

OLDROD

#206 ·
"NASCAR"

39 OLDROD said:
You can bet the price of every thing has cut attance and as to over half the drivers being on the lead lap do a way with the lucky dog and wave around and see how many you have on the lead lap. :rolleyes: OH yes I go back to the run what you brung age grope. :thumbup: DID'T cost a arm and leg to get in and gas woun't 4-5 dollars eather and yes the stands were full if not to watch the race then to see who got his a** kicked when they were dumb and tryed some of the crap some do now. :thumbup:

OLDROD
I'm not saying it is all in the price of things, But it plays a big part. There is also lots more to do these days than go racing on Sat. night. If they would not have put nascar on TV. if they had let NASCAR stay in the SE., if the big three had not got involved, they might still be running, run what you brung.
If a lot of the fan base had not died off, or if they would have left the tracks with less seating, or not put up the walls on the back stretch and put seating there, a lot of things would have stayed the same.

People can still go to little tracks around them, but they want to see more, they want to see the cars go faster than they do on the dirt. Things change people change, we get older don't go anymore, they have to find new fans.

They have kids doing what men use to do now. The drivers then would be out of the sport, at the age they started getting good, now.

Bob

#208 ·
the Vile Tush

I agree - Congrats to Regan Smith - it is just SOOO good to see a new guy, in an underfunded, underdog team bring it home! :thumbup: :thumbup: Lets hope that he may even get some more decals on his car now! :D

Excellent move by Carl - a real class act! :thumbup:

Now as to the Vile Tush - if Nascar lets him back on the track sans a major suspension, then everyone may as well just totally disregard anything Helton or anyone else from France Inc says about anything! That deliberate hook on Harvick after starting the fracas that destroyed Bowyer's car goes WAY beyond "Have at it Boys!" and into the realm of assault with a 3500 lb, 800 hp deadly weapon! :smash: Perhaps the local police should look into it as such?

(And no, I am not a fan of Harvick either - he has been as guilty as the Vile Tush in other events!)

#209 ·
Got to love the "lady in Black" another great southern 500. I had a smile from ear to ear when Regan came off of turn 2 sideways . Anyone who can do that with Edwards breathing down on them is truly an incredible driver.

- Nascar? It's racing, whatever the rules may be. You either like racing or you don't. I personally like it all. Drags, bikes, go karts, dirt, all the classes at local short tracks -( anything that has a motor in it.) Get it ?

Bush & Harvick - They deserve each other. And I like ALL the drivers too. Well maybe JPM not so much.

Anyone who thinks this is easy should spend the money to go to a track and drive one of these things. ( I did and it was awesome) And then imagine 42 other cars within inches of you wanting to go by.

JMO

Matt

#210 ·
At least Juan has the courage of his convictions- he's a little ****, but like a bantam rooster he won't back down- any I doubt anyone will accuse him of being a coward, like bush running away- from freaking Harvic!

I'm not a fan of many drivers. So damn many of them are given the chance because of their corporate "palatability" as much as their talent. You won't see any buck-toothed fat-A drivers, that's for sure- at least not at the higher levels.

Example- The first race I saw Dale Jarret interviewed in, my jaw freaking hit the floor!!! This slovenly piece of work w/his baggy pants hanging below the crack of his ***, stained wife beater t-shirt couldn't even be understood- his pronunciation/assault of the English language was just plain horrible. Based on what's required to grace the driver seat today, he's never have made second string janitor, let alone a driver. Today, he's followed his Dad from the track into the announcer's booth to finish his career as a broadcaster- who'd have thunk it?? Who believes a young Dale Earnhardt would be selected to drive- today? Ain't no way his unpolished, backwoods demeanor, southern drawling self would be driving anything but maybe a dump truck.

#211 ·
cobalt327 said:
At least Juan has the courage of his convictions- he's a little ****, but like a bantam rooster he won't back down- any I doubt anyone will accuse him of being a coward, like bush running away- from freaking Harvic!

I'm not a fan of many drivers. So damn many of them are given the chance because of their corporate "palatability" as much as their talent. You won't see any buck-toothed fat-A drivers, that's for sure- at least not at the higher levels.

Example- The first race I saw Dale Jarret interviewed in, my jaw freaking hit the floor!!! This slovenly piece of work w/his baggy pants hanging below the crack of his ***, stained wife beater t-shirt couldn't even be understood- his pronunciation/assault of the English language was just plain horrible. Based on what's required to grace the driver seat today, he's never have made second string janitor, let alone a driver. Today, he's followed his Dad from the track into the announcer's booth to finish his career as a broadcaster- who'd have thunk it?? Who believes a young Dale Earnhardt would be selected to drive- today? Ain't no way his unpolished, backwoods demeanor, southern drawling self would be driving anything but maybe a dump truck.
The outcome of that race was a good one with another new name added to the winner's list. Regan Smith has had a couple pretty good runs and might even get a better ride in the next few years. Edwards could have nudged him out of the way and won, but he has really become a great driver (unless Keselowski upsets him again)

I think if the idiot Busch had gotten out of his car and faced down Harvick, he would be nursing some sore spots on his body for the next few days (or possibly some wounds for Harvick's wife). But as far as driving ability, both are very good, with Busch being the better. He can put a wrecked car in the winner's circle, a feat Harvick can only cry over. I REALLY enjoy seeing him get beaten though. I do think he will upset someone someday and he may get carried out in an ambulance. Notice - he wont fool with Montoya :D

Since you brought up Junior, if it wasn't for his name, he would most likely to have already been relegated to a third string team or possibly even retired to run his Charlotte bar and to hang with his buddies. He may have talent, but he doesn't have the drive and commitment to be a great driver. Hendrick has given him the best equipment and his second best crew chief and he is already starting to revert to form. My prediction is that he will fall from the top 12 (#4 now, -47) in that ridiculous chase format and finish in the mid teens, maybe low 20's in position. He is starting to speak a bit better and doesn't sound like quite as much of a gomer as he did in the past.

Dave W

#212 ·
Irelands child said:
Since you brought up Junior, if it wasn't for his name, he would most likely to have already been relegated to a third string team or possibly even retired to run his Charlotte bar and to hang with his buddies. He may have talent, but he doesn't have the drive and commitment to be a great driver. Hendrick has given him the best equipment and his second best crew chief and he is already starting to revert to form. My prediction is that he will fall from the top 12 (#4 now, -47) in that ridiculous chase format and finish in the mid teens, maybe low 20's in position. He is starting to speak a bit better and doesn't sound like quite as much of a gomer as he did in the past.

Dave W
I should have specified a "young Dale Earnhardt Senior", above- that's who I was referring to when I said he wouldn't get a job today driving a cup car.

That said, I actually agree 100% about your take on Junior. He's there because of who he is, not because of his talent. And while he's shown hints of greatness, he's never put together enough good seasons to entitle him to be among the upper ranked drivers, that's for sure. Even Kenseth has beaten him to the punch so to speak as they came up through the ranks together.

#213 ·
cobalt327 said:
I should have specified a "young Dale Earnhardt Senior", above- that's who I was referring to when I said he wouldn't get a job today driving a cup car.

That said, I actually agree 100% about your take on Junior. He's there because of who he is, not because of his talent. And while he's shown hints of greatness, he's never put together enough good seasons to entitle him to be among the upper ranked drivers, that's for sure. Even Kenseth has beaten him to the punch so to speak as they came up through the ranks together.
when the old man died, junior seemed to have given up. now i hear that nascar is limiting every owner to just 2 teams. so he will be out of a ride.

#215 ·
runn141 said:
when the old man died, junior seemed to have given up. now i hear that nascar is limiting every owner to just 2 teams. so he will be out of a ride.
NA$CAR is limiting owners to 4 teams and I believe that began last year. That's the reason Jamie McMurray was released from Roush and Hendrick cut someone (forgot who - Vickers, maybe??). I don't think they dare reduce ownership any more - they would have a tough job filling the field as only about 44-45 cars show now and so many start and park cars are in the field. Yeah, there are ways around that four number - think Wood Bros as a Roush sub-team, Tommy Baldwin, Furniture Row as either Childress or Hendrick as the car builder and/or the engine supplier for Chevy or Toyota.

It still amazes me that Junior has the following with his lousy driving record. I think I went through that 30-40 posts above. Then, of course, a driver generation back was Awesome Bill who didn't have much of a run after his really good days. Now, almost a start and park driver.

#216 ·
I cringe a little inside when I see Terry Labonte or Bill Elliot take to the track for the sole reason of getting a past champion's starting slot. Kinda cheapens their legacy, IMO. I don't recall if Jaws has done it, and I don't recall Rusty doing it- at least not as a habit. But it seems every Texas race, Terry starts the race. And he was a driver I liked, too. :(

Then there's salt of the earth guys like Morgan Shepard, don't know if he starts and parks all the time or what, but I respect his work ethic if nothing else- he builds his stuff himself.

#217 ·
cobalt327 said:
I cringe a little inside when I see Terry Labonte or Bill Elliot take to the track for the sole reason of getting a past champion's starting slot. Kinda cheapens their legacy, IMO. I don't recall if Jaws has done it, and I don't recall Rusty doing it- at least not as a habit. But it seems every Texas race, Terry starts the race. And he was a driver I liked, too. :(

Then there's salt of the earth guys like Morgan Shepard, don't know if he starts and parks all the time or what, but I respect his work ethic if nothing else- he builds his stuff himself.
Jaws did some truck races for his brother a couple years back. Kinda think he would have trouble getting his chunky butt in the window now.

Terry LaBonte and even Bobby need to hang up their helmets and work with a team as consultants or start up their own teams. Terry for sure has been a start and park, tho Bobby does run mid to end of the pack usually with an occasional good top 15. Elliott - heck, he got a pole last year, but faded. Morgan Shepard tries to do his best and even finishes many races. Childress helps with decent engines. There are some decent drivers doing the park and park - I guess just to make some owners happy and themselves a few bucks - Todd Bodine. Setzer, Bliss, Blaney, Skinner.

Rusty "lives" his current track experiences through his son. Good cars, but a driver who will never get there. A couple of the columns I read occasionally have referred to him as a wreck about to happen - or worse.

Gonna be some penalties for Pile and Harvick - announced tomorrow.

Here's really good website for about the best coverage, if you don't already look at it:

Jayski's

Dave W

#218 ·
I'll make a note of that site, the thread here is all I had been reading, other than hearing some scuttlebutt on our local radio station that broadcasts a NASCAR show hosted by Captain Herb Emory. He's into Fords and Georgia born and bred drivers, like Reed Sorenson and of course Bill Elliot.

Pretty funny, Montoya saying Newman hits like a girl! Montoya had better check himself- if Newman ever connected, it would tear his freaking head off. Newman reminds me of Cale Yarborough- a no-neck, tough SOB.

#219 ·
haa haa

I've been following this thread without comment. Most opinions echo my own. As far as the Harvick/Busch altercation, its a dam shame Harvick was not able to break his nose. If ya'll remember, his brother Kurt was a show boat until Jimmy Spencer splattered his nose. That calmed him down considerably. I never cared for Spencer, but he gained my respect with that nose flattening. I've got a feeling that Kyle will begin to slow down after his first horrific accident, unless someone gets to his nose first.

About Kyle's extraordinary performances, I heard the radio chatter in a recent Nationwide race with ~10 to go. Somebody told him to go to ignition box 2. It appears to me that the secondary box had a much higher rev limiter and possibly a bit more timing setup in it. The car took off like it had a new found HP level, in turn he walked it to the front and won. Perhaps the engine could not last the entire race at that rpm and timing, but they were willing to smoke the engine in the last 10 laps in order to win. I don't know if other teams are using this trick, but there is no rule saying you can't.

About Dale Jr., I was his Daddy's biggest fan. If I didn't pull for Jr., his old man would roll over in his grave and haunt me in my dreams. I think he may improve with time, he seems to be working the point system to his advantage currently. His Daddy's death, the fire burns in the Rolex car, the battle with Teresa and departure from DEI and his business building moves alone and with his sister seem to have slowed him down. I personally think he has never recovered from the grief of Dale Sr.'s tragic accident. Don't forget the fact that Dale Jr. was Dale Sr.'s world's greatest fan. All of his racing accomplishments to date are imitations of his Daddy's skills. Ya'll, don't give up on him yet, he may snap out of it and start pushing his limits and surprise us all.

#226 ·
Nascar talk 2011

runn141 said:
i just heard that next year they will be limited to 2 teams and they are doing away with 2 plate races. i dont know i just hope they dont do away with the plate races.
If that were the case, why is Henkrick signing Kasey Kahn, as a forth driver, Why is Carl Edwards, in talks, With Rousch, I hope. Why did RCR just sign Menard, to be their forth driver. Why is there talk that Gibbs might get another driver, as a forth driver, and why did NASCAR give everyone, 4 years nitice they were cutting back to 4 teams, and give them no warning now. If they went to two car teams.

I don't care for Harvick or Tush, but I think Harvick could clean the floor with him. He does have to get a little smarter though, I don't think you will do much damage, when a guy is sitting in his car with part of his seat around him, safty belts on, and a helmet on.

Oh and as far as getting rid of two plate races, won't happen, why you ask, Because NASCAR owns both tracks, Besides they are going to use F.I. next year, And NASCAR told the owners they can start testing at KY, All tire tests and a couple other tracks. So I don't know who you hear this from but it is not good info.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.