"NASCAR Talk 2011" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

"NASCAR Talk 2011"

I don't know how you all felt about todays race, but I didn't like it, except with the winner. I felt like I was watching some kind of automotive roller derby. I wish they would open the restrictions up to where a guy can pass a car, based on how much H.P. he makes, just like the old days. This sucks today. I watch about 3 NASCAR races a year, I like the long tracks, but I will quit wasting my time.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
I don't know how you all felt about todays race, but I didn't like it, except with the winner. I felt like I was watching some kind of automotive roller derby. I wish they would open the restrictions up to where a guy can pass a car, based on how much H.P. he makes, just like the old days. This sucks today. I watch about 3 NASCAR races a year, I like the long tracks, but I will quit wasting my time.
Very boring, I hope the whole season is not like this.

Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

NASCAR , Give ma a drag race any day.

Vince
Old 02-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
NASCAR , Give ma a drag race any day.

Vince
X 2 Vince. Rails and Funny Cars ...wooo hooo! Wheelies and blower explosions ...Oh Yeah.
Monster Trucks.... Demolition Derbys... Ohh Ohh Ohhhh.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Trouble is with that, at 220 mph, you couldnt keep those cars on the ground.......The only way to get rid of the plates and be safe would be to not race on Daytona and Talledega.....and thats not going to happen

I think its great that the Wood Brothers are back in the game and am happy for the kid.......

Budget RVs
Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

One thing I don't appreciate is all the radio chatter and spotter involvement. I mean you can switch over and talk with another driver, plot and plan moves together, they tell you who is on the move and coming up behind you etc etc etc. I think it takes away from some of the 'seat of the pants' talent needed before radios. I would like them to change it so that it is only driver to crew chief that is it.

If safety is a concern then only activate the spotters transmitter as soon as there is wreck or something.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Daytona

Well....

I loved seeing the Wood Bros back in Victory Lane. (Esp with that paint scheme - reminded me of the old days when that was Cale's car)

I think it's great that a "munchkin" won

However, the stretch of 500 miles that led up to that victory was comprised of some of the worst, most boring racing I have ever seen. If NASCAR is worried about declining attendance and declining TV viewers, then they are gonna have to do SOMETHING, or even us die-hard fans will switch to watching the Home & Garden Network.

If we need to keep speeds down on the big tracks and every single team already builds special "plate engines" for the big tracks - how about if we have a separate rule for the big tracks - 300 cu inch engines without restrictor plates instead of 355's with plates? Stop mandating what specific rear gears MUST be used?

Other suggestions welcome - submit them to the France Family and lets see if they care at all!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
Well....

If we need to keep speeds down on the big tracks and every single team already builds special "plate engines" for the big tracks - how about if we have a separate rule for the big tracks - 300 cu inch engines without restrictor plates instead of 355's with plates? Stop mandating what specific rear gears MUST be used?

Other suggestions welcome - submit them to the France Family and lets see if they care at all!
That's what I was thinking also. Make an engine change, they have been working in the 355 parameters for a long, long time (a good trivia question), maybe it's time for some change. Every car out there is probably within + or - 10 horsepower. It is too equal....it's boring. Skill level seems to be how well you can push/be pushed around the race track without someone getting in your way. Maybe add 500 lbs to the weight of the car, wherever you would like to place it. I am looking forward to next weekend, the start of the NHRA season, love the pro-stocks, blink your eyes and you're out. Equality rules here, take 16 cars for the field, most days they will be within 3 or 4 one/hundredths of each other, reaction time, shifting, keep the car in the groove, 6 seconds of action, one car after another. Hard to beat.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:24 AM
kc0kfg

Last photo:

I watched the race on Sat at my father in laws and I can tell you Im glad I watch F1 racing, this is what Nascar has come to? find a dance partner and drive around two by two... exciting, see how long that lasts when the sponsors realize that viewers are just watching the last 10 laps since the rest of the race is so boring.

I will stick with formula one thank you
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I like the "lower the cubic inch limit" idea myself too and unrestrict them again, the whole bumper push procession on the track was boring. Keep them V8's but drop the ci limit to around 300...and keep dropping it as speeds increase.

Lets face it, a 355 Nascar engine puts out the same HP (or more depending on who you believe) as a Nascar 426 did in the old days but now we have better tires and more aero in the designs. I don't see anything wrong with a bunch of 5.0 Litre cars duking it out on the banks, I wouldn't even be averse to letting high tech engines with multi valves compete alongside with weight restrictions to level the field. Anything to break the boredom, reminded me of watching a bunch of formula vees out there except on a huge banked oval where driving skill has little to do with winning...seemed the luck of staying out of an accident had more to with getting to the lead than actual driving skill or engine building prowess.

I know that's simplifying it a bit but sheesh, I sure miss the old days when two ton sedans, huge big blocks and crappy tires ran on that course. You know I am almost at the point where they should be using stock based engines in the cars and if that means a V6 then so be it, you can keep the tube frames and rear drive layout but if you can't buy a car that resembles what runs out there I wonder how that translates to the customer in the showroom floor.

Seriously think about it, homologation of a car to get it legal for the track was a great thing for us car guys...how else would we have gotten those 427 Galaxies or 426 Superbirds that are so sought after today. I had a rental the other week that I absolutely loved, a 2009 SS Chevy Caprice...I beat the crud out of that car for a week, I even took it on highway drives in the evenings just to drive it hard and listen to it pull in top gear. Sure took me back to the old days when you could love a big car with some horses under the hood, it was only a 5.3L with 300hp or so but it pulled nice for a land yacht...plenty comfortable too. Have to tip that rental girl more often for that upgrade!

Think about it, that is what started it all...big car, rear drive, lots of power plus room for the family...those were the roots of Nascar...Dad could buy one and the kids could see it on the track on TV while Dad talked about how he should have got the "track pack" option while he watched the race with the kids. Its become too sterile and too regulated with next to no innovation to allow anyone have an edge and it doesn't take a genius to see how it has translated into the racing.

I think we talk about this topic every year after Taledaga and Daytona, and I keep saying the same things...
Old 02-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Im not sticking up for the restrictor plates or anything, but I cant see what a smaller engine would do......It would just be the same, less horsepower and the same racing......They would likely get a bit better mileage, so there would be less pit stops, thus longer periods of boring racing.......

Daytona and Talledega are just 2 tracks.....they are the oddballs of NASCAR...the season really starts next week at the 1 1/2 mile tracks

Budget RVs
Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

It was far better racing than the pack of 43 cars.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:38 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

It reminded me of a bunch of Florida love bug's with 4 wheels. Only thing different was you could see the wrecks comming before the drivers could.

And once again, Jr's luck zapped him again.

The worst part is having to suffer verbal abuse from the Jeff Gordon lovin' wife I got!

Last edited by sqzbox; 02-21-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I think they should shut down I 95 and have a "Cannonball Run" style of race. from miami to maine or vice versa.That would be interesting.
I too...like F1 racing better.But monster Trucks are my favorite by far.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

the daytona 500

I liked it, 70 some lead changes, a lot better than one big line of 43 cars going around lap after lap, at least two cars could be leading one minute and be back in 15th or so the next. I had tickets at Daytona for years, until it started taking too long to get out of there. Now I have tickets at Kansas.

Someone said they should run with out spotters, well if they did we would still be watching the race. You can't see jack out of those cars, I did one of those driving school deals in them, took so many hours of class then got to drive alone. I was pushing 175 MPH. let me tell you, it's not like driving down the highway, even if you are the on the track with a lead car, he would only let you go as fast as he thought you should.

Maybe it doesn't look like much but you ask anyone of those drivers how hard it is to drive like that, the pusher can't see a thing, that's why they talk to each other, The Gibbs cars were the only ones that would not give out what channel they were on.

Someone said they couldn't wait until next week, when NHRA starts, because they like pro-stock. Those cars are held to certain CI also, they sure aren't run what you brung. I was a crew chief on one when they first started, WJ was are big foe from across town, during the week we traded parts. Greg Anderson was a crewman on are car. We ran a Plymouth, back then we had to carry a extra 100 lbs because we had a HEMI even when we had the same HP.

I like them both I watch every race, Trucks, nationwide, and cup and all the drag racing, except bracket I can't stand that. I only live about 10 miles from Brained race track and they drag every Wed. So I go watch a lot.

Now NASCAR will get back to the regular racing until they get to the other long track.
Oh 2013 they will have a new car that will look more like the show room cars.

Bob

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.