Hot Rod Forum banner

NASCAR Talk 2013

16K views 172 replies 25 participants last post by  Dave57210 
#1 ·
They're at Daytona for testing. Sprint Cup cars have a lot of changes to downforce, HP, etc. and a new look, I'm sure some won't like it but they do look a little more recognizable between the makes.

Averaging about 195 no draft, should be well over 200 mph in the draft. Don't know if it'll be a tandem or multi-draft deal yet, in the current configuration they seem a bit twitchy when they're nose to tail. But they're a lot faster.

The testing goes on through the 12th. Speed is covering it.

#154 ·
Driver Denny Hamlin suffered a lower back fracture in a brutal crash on the final lap of Sunday’s race at Auto Club Speedway and might miss one or more races as he recovers.

Joe Gibbs Racing said Monday that Hamlin suffered a compression fracture of the L1 vertebrae at the lowest part of the back.

According to a news release from the team, Hamlin is expected to be released from a Fontana area hospital today to return to his home in North Carolina. In Charlotte, Hamlin is scheduled to be examined by surgeon Dr. Jerry Petty, who has treated many NASCAR drivers.

Compression fractures typically take weeks to heal and often involve surgery.

The Sprint Cup Series is idle this weekend because of the Easter holiday and will resume the following weekend at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia.

Hamlin was hurt after he and rival Joey Logano crashed while racing for the win on the final lap of Sunday’s Auto Club 400. Logano bounced off the outside wall and continued to the finish, but Hamlin’s car was turned to the left by the impact, and he hit the inside wall head-on. The impact lifted the car into the air.

A decision about Hamlin’s immediate future in the JGR No. 11 Toyota isn’t expected until at least later this week. Five races into the season, he is 10th in Sprint Cup points.

#156 ·
i just wish someone would go up and take stewarts front teeth out on live tv when he acts like that. i remember when jimmy spencer took kurt busch down a notch. and the 88 is leading the points again in the beginning of the season. too bad nascar will take it away at 12 races to go causing him to not win a championship again.

#157 ·
All Tony needs is a gentle tap on the back of the skull with a 12 lb sledge to get his attention and then he might listen to reason.

He has done this type of crap before and at one point - when he was in the Home Despot car, it took a visit with the sponsors to point out that "You are the public face of our company - and we do not pay for our public face to look like that! Once more and we will be sponsoring someone else!"

Then he began to act bit more mature. As of now, he is reminding me a bit of a certain diver in a certain M&Ms car......

#159 ·
Bad Behavior

Throughout the history of Nascar many have been called in for aggressive driving. But my thoughts led to drivers that have been called in for bad/childish behavior.

At the top of my list is Kurt Busch, I stood and cheered when Jimmy Spencer punched him in the nose some years back and I didn't like Jimmy. He gained my respect with that one punch. When Kurt said, on camera, "would someone get this MF'er out of my face" to Dr. Jerry Punch, I was stunned. If I was Dr. Jerry I would have wanted to shove my foot up his rear.

Kyle Busch and his little kiddie temper tantrums, walking off the track and such. Whiner. He has matured some, but still carries the stigma.

Tony Stewart is in alot of ways like Kyle. After his mandated anger management therapy, he too has matured some, but also still carries the stigma among some fans.

Jeff Gordon should be comfortable laying back on his credentials being a five time champion. Sometimes he handles post race in a dignified manner sometimes he whines and whines, did I say whines already?

Nolan

#161 ·
Beginning to wonder if a certain female driver with initials DP actually can drive worth a ......

Just watching qualifying - if she can't step it up, she may have a great future as a roadblock!
thats a silly post.. I remember a mighty good driver that sucked at qualify, in the back 20th-38th .. but won 7 champs, but did win a pole at the glen when they took him out of his car a week before.. with broken bones no less..
but , some forget he was not a winner right off the bat either, and killed many a car,, so did jeff gordon.. among others..

#162 ·
There is also a very good chance that she and her crew chief are not communicating well - but between car set up, and car handling and her driving, she has seemed to go backwards in every race so far, often being the tail ed of lead lap or being one or more laps down (NOT counting instances were she has been punted out of contention and lost laps while her crew put it back together to get her back on track)

Maybe I was just expecting too much too soon (and if you look back on this thread, I have been a HUGE supporter of hers and her value to the sport) but maybe I am just expecting too much.

After all the hype, after all the talking her up - she regularly finishes SO far back in the pack and qualifies poorly as well.

Maybe if her crew could give her a good car (if she could explain what she wants to someone who could understand and could do it.....)

On the other hand, Dick Trickle is often held to be one of the best ever yet he never once won a cup-level race.....

I wear a Jeff Gordon jacket, but for the past number of years, I have been wondering what's happened to him - basically since Evernham left the "Rainbow Warriors", he has not lived up to expectations

She seems to be having issues with expectations and reality as well........

#164 ·
yup adding teams hurts all teams under that owner for a season or 2..
RCR didn't do much as they added cars..

the gen 6 cars are much better, but teams don't have the sponsers to change over a whole fleet of cars, even tho. his cars are from hendrick. he still has to pay for them.. and hendrick have'n to build new fleets for their 4 teams was a tall order nevermind tonys teams..

sadly, fans put danica at the top, just like they did to JR. both where expected to win right off the bat..

roush cars should always do well. edwards team have gone full seasons in a funk..
honestly, she should have done another full season in nationwide.. but nascar wants come before everything else..
as tony wasn't ready for 3 teams, and she needed more time to learn to talk with the crew chief.. she can drive thats not an issue, but the crew and driver being on the same page is huge,, something even JR didn't have for years..
face it JR would have had multi champ by now if he drove for RCR but didn't because he wants to be his own man, not thought of as DALE SR son.. and the pressure that come with driving for RCR no matter what # on the door.. but RCR didn't play favorites, like hendrick does, and the 48 will always get the best of the best as it's in the best interest for Rick,Jeff&jimmie as they all win when the 48 does.. don't believe me..
JR cars have gotten 100% better since he straped into a RCR car with a JR motorsports engine (that buy the way was a steward engine) and won..
now he's top 10 almost every race,at the top most of the race, and able to stay there, and when the pit crew screws up. be able to drive the wheels off the car to get back to where he was..
on top of all that, not everyone can loose their dad and keep doing the same thing, when every day all you see is your dad and his car EVERYWHERE.. between the pressure to be as good as his dad (jr has more wins than his dad at the same age) and being reminded of his dads death every dam day, I'd say he did dam well..
I really think JR is setting himself up to be a great owner.. just like his mentor RC.. and if not for nascar and the fans going age crap. would be out of the car when his contract is up.. best thing to happen to him was the end of the 11 season, his step mother telling him, he'll never be a champ.. now there is fire in those eye's, spite can do wonders..

#167 ·
how many people changed on that team..

what about teams that win a champ one year, but can't get a top ten this year (#14 smoke)

even if the team is all the same group, they get better the longer they are together..

if you agree with anything I listed, your "exclamation point" is a fail

#172 ·
Is there maybe a very teeny slight chance that things may be just a bit carried away?

"CROWN ROYAL PRESENTS THE SAMUEL DEEDS 400 AT THE BRICKYARD POWERED BY BIGMACHINERECORDS.COM"

Next year the race will officially be called:

"CROWN ROYAL PRESENTS THE SAMUEL DEEDS 400 AT THE BRICKYARD POWERED BY BIGMACHINERECORDS.COM with promotional consideration provided by Ford, GM, Chrysler/Fiat, Renault/Nissan, Toyota, Coca Cola, Verizon, Sprint, TIDE laundry detergents, GoDaddy, Rent-a-centre, Hilton Hotels, Goodyear Tires and Golden Corral with additional assistance provided by (etc, etc....)"

Gonna be tuff to put that on the race banners and advertising

NASCAR will then have to look into why no-one realized that this was actually a race they were talking about and as a result, no-one watched, ratings tanked and NASCAR lost a ton of $$$$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.