Hot Rod Forum banner

Nason 3:1 vs. 4:1 clear

29K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  68ss 
#1 ·
How does Nasons 497-00 clear (3:1) compare with the 496-00 clear (4:1)?

I have used the 496-00 before with success and really liked it. The 497 clear says "panel and overall clear". The 496 just says "clearcoat"

Is 1 better than the other?

Thanks

#2 ·
As a rule of thumb the lower the mix ratio the better.. Example: you will find your cheapest clears from your major companys mix 4:1.... This does not mean they will not spray well or look good when done, but for the most part in this industry.. you get what you pay for with some exceptions to the rule here and there (SPI being one of them)... Ok as you buy better clears they will mix 3:1, 2:1, and 1:1...

I do not have experience with Nason clears, however I would venture an educated guess the 497 is def. better... Someone else can chime in with more details....

BK

#5 ·
68ss said:
I have heard alot of talk on this board about SPI. I don't have any experience with them. i have only used Dupont chroma base and chroma premire. how does spi compare?
It is the best I have used, and the price is stellar... You can buy 2 sprayable gallons for I think like a buck 50..... That is like buying a clarion (high end radio) head unit for your car at Walmart sparkomatic prices ( sparkomatic is dirt cheap junk)... I have said it time and time again, I have never sent anyone to spi who did not love it when they sprayed it or had it sprayed... Buy one quart if you are leary and shoot/cut/buff, then look at the price tag and I am sure you will be buying it by the gallons.

BTW I have used ppg concept clear, sherman williams/martin senior, American Fisnishes ( ownded by ppg) Evercoat used to make one I used, sikkens etc... I cant remember them all but I have used enough of them to form a good opinion I think

BK

BK

#6 ·
I've been using the 497 lately and really like it. Great clarity and flows well but you may need to up the gun PSI a bit to get if flat. Be sure to use the correct catylist for the temp you shooting at. It dosen't have the gloss IMO the Chroma series has,that super wet look,but is way cheaper and will do you proud.A good cut and buff will really make it shine. Get an extra can of catylist too as at a 3:1 mix it dosen't work out right and you'll have extra clear left over.

#7 ·
BondoKing said:
BTW I have used ppg concept clear, sherman williams/martin senior, American Fisnishes ( ownded by ppg) Evercoat used to make one I used, sikkens etc... I cant remember them all but I have used enough of them to form a good opinion I think

BK

BK
Hey bondoking, you're starting to sound like that paint instructor dude!!
It's SHERWIN WILLIAMS, not sherman.

#8 ·
Bondo and Bee,
Thanks for the advice. I am going to be redoing my camaro when i get home the clear coat got gas pops in it. i asked in a different thread the other night and was told all i needed to do was sand it smooth then epoxy to seal and come from there. will the spi stuff stick over chroma premire? and does it have the gloss as i will be painting it black.

#10 ·
68ss, IF it's just pop in the clear,you need not go that far. I'd sand the clear first lightly with some 600,either wet it with the 50/50 alc.water or grease & wax remover and SEE if they are gone before taking it all the way down to paint.
I had some solvent pop over some black I shot on a graphic touch up and cleared a little too soon and the clear was bubbled up all over that black,I color sanded with 600 and recleared a couple day's later and it turned out beautiful. FWIW. Mike.

#11 ·
bee4me

Mike,
I wish it was that easy. It looks like the craters go all the way to the base coat. to make matters worse i was goofing off with it right before i deployed and hit a mailbox on the passenger door. God my wife was HOT. so i have to replace a door at least and then deal with the paint issue. if it wasn't for replacing door's i would try that. Thanks

Toby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.