Nason, Chromabase or Spies for an overall? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nason, Chromabase or Spies for an overall?

Is there any benefit other than coverage and color match with Spies or Chromabase instead of Nason? Does either have a better "pop" when applied correctly? I'm just curious, my paint guy is trying to sell me on Spies and the car owner already has a gallon of Nason Ful Base in the 09 BMW maroon metallic. If the Spies has better longevity or pop, he'll use it.
Thanks,
Chip.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 04:38 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

The colors won't even be REMOTELY close. Chromabase and Spies will match the factory color and the Nason won't be close. That's the difference between a top shelf product and a bottom shelf!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

Right, I always used Spies until my local jobber switched to Glasurit( also a great product) and it was the best paint I ever used.

Ron
Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Nason is the DuPont "economy" line but is mixed by a DuPont jobber exactly the same way as the ChromaBase. There are some differences in chemistry, but is just a wee bit lower quality. Just to be safe and for my paint jobs, will use the ChromaBase along with SPI universal clear
Old 03-30-2011, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Nason, Chromabase, Spies, Standox, ALL are DuPont products. There are night and day differences between Nason and the others. Nason is good paint for a budget. But ease of use, coverage, color matching ALL go to the OTHER products hands down. Mix the exact same paint code in Nason and one of the others and the colors will not be the same. Nason doesn't have the same toners as the others. You CAN NOT color match Nason to a factory color(unless it is white or black)
Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I've used Nason Ful-base on almost all my repair work For about 10 yrs and nobody can tell it from factory paint...I'd suggest getting someone else to mix your paint if its not even close.I've also used a ton of Nasons Ful-thane for all overs that are solid colors...Maybe you talking about a metallic SS witch does look like crap from any company and cant be blended...Maybe twice in ten yrs a color wasnt a blend-able match and one of those was definitely the mixers fault (mixed orange and I needed red), I brought it back and the mixer (new guy) said the same thing,so I had my usual guy mix it and it was spot on.I guess a lot of painters have trouble with Nason because I've heard this before,you cant blend it,it never match's,it looks crappy etc....untrue....I use it,and when I show them the car that I drive and ask where it was repainted none of these painters were right yet. Nason can POP as good as chroma base but its harder to do you have to fog it with an X pattern on the last two coats.Nason base also takes a lot more material to get the same coverage as chroma base...Its a little tricky getting used to Nason if your used to the good stuff,but if you HAVE to use it or just refuse to pay for chroma base or the others on daily drivers you can get used to it fairly ez,but on high dollar high quality work I dont use it.Heres a few tricks for you to try before you shell out another 400.oo on chroma base....use a tinted sealer or my preference old base thats close to the color of the car,when using old base two coats over the primer spots and one on the whole car....it says mix 1:1 but try 1/2 the reducer and see how much better it covers ,1:1/2 ...its normal to need 3-5 coats of base ,never two like chroma base ,spray it light if it gets to thick it'll take a long time to dry and it must be dry to the touch before recoating,2 fog coats sprayed with an X pattern and its done.they sell a hardener but I've only used it once until it ran out....even with the extra time it takes it saves money ,lots of it.Of all the low end paint I've used, Nason works best for me and its held up almost 10yrs on my personal car.Those other two paints are great ,they're just too expensive for everyday cars with everyday work being done on them.
I save the best paint for my best work...and I havent worried about matching colors for twenty years thats the ez part...
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

This car is a BC/CC project with SPI Universal. I was just curious if since it is metallic if there'd be much benefit to DuPont's upper grades. The car was painted with Nason BC/CC, clear brand is unknown. It was painted last fall and the painter appears to have finish sanded the primer with 220 grit by the front to back metallic stripes in the basecoat. I've been working on the damage the prior guy did, hood didn't fit, fender gaps were way off, driver door crashed into the fender, bodylines didn't even line up, the hood was boogered from the painter/bodyman putting the hood scoop on and using the fasteners to pull the scoop and hood together(the hood got pulled to it so it had loads of ripples and a brand new Ford tooling hood. The quarters were replaced and I'm guessing with all the aftermarket sheetmetal, measurement differences stacked up. It has the original passenger fender and trunk lid, the rest is aftermarket. It is finally close enough, I have to let it pass and paint it this weekend. I could nitpick it to death but have to call it quits at some point. His son's Mustang will be coming into the shop at some point this year.
Thanks everybody.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:59 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

there's a reason it's cheaper. lower grade resins , lighter tints etc . ok for wrecking yard work but i would never use it on a nice car. excessive film build , more solvents to deal with . there are many quality paints out there priced the same. prospray for one.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:06 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Somebody told me the Nason basecoat is mainly binder. I just want this paint job to pop, on the stuff I've already touched up with some of the old paint and SPI Universal, the clear makes a huge difference in the appearance of the Nason BC. I'm still considering the Chromabase or Spies for this one. Solid colors I have no problem with Nason. This car is intended to be in my buddy's possession til doomsday, just like his Mach One from when we were in high school 26 years ago.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:41 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

then i would highly recommend prospray or another top shelf product.
tinted sealers give you a false reading on coverage. i shoot over black, white or gray .
Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

I've never used a tinted sealer mainly because I'd rather rely on the basecoat to provide my color, I think I'd screw the pooch if used a tinted sealer and create unevenness of color or metallic. I'd get it in the sun and see all my screw ups.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:19 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

i shoot red over white. blues over gray or white. dark colors on black. the price of a gal of nason wont break anyone. use it for something else and get a better quality product .
Old 03-31-2011, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I've used Nason Ful-base on almost all my repair work For about 10 yrs and nobody can tell it from factory paint...I'd suggest getting someone else to mix your paint if its not even close.I've also used a ton of Nasons Ful-thane for all overs that are solid colors...Maybe you talking about a metallic SS witch does look like crap from any company and cant be blended...Maybe twice in ten yrs a color wasnt a blend-able match and one of those was definitely the mixers fault (mixed orange and I needed red), I brought it back and the mixer (new guy) said the same thing,so I had my usual guy mix it and it was spot on.I guess a lot of painters have trouble with Nason because I've heard this before,you cant blend it,it never match's,it looks crappy etc....untrue....I use it,and when I show them the car that I drive and ask where it was repainted none of these painters were right yet. Nason can POP as good as chroma base but its harder to do you have to fog it with an X pattern on the last two coats.Nason base also takes a lot more material to get the same coverage as chroma base...Its a little tricky getting used to Nason if your used to the good stuff,but if you HAVE to use it or just refuse to pay for chroma base or the others on daily drivers you can get used to it fairly ez,but on high dollar high quality work I dont use it.Heres a few tricks for you to try before you shell out another 400.oo on chroma base....use a tinted sealer or my preference old base thats close to the color of the car,when using old base two coats over the primer spots and one on the whole car....it says mix 1:1 but try 1/2 the reducer and see how much better it covers ,1:1/2 ...its normal to need 3-5 coats of base ,never two like chroma base ,spray it light if it gets to thick it'll take a long time to dry and it must be dry to the touch before recoating,2 fog coats sprayed with an X pattern and its done.they sell a hardener but I've only used it once until it ran out....even with the extra time it takes it saves money ,lots of it.Of all the low end paint I've used, Nason works best for me and its held up almost 10yrs on my personal car.Those other two paints are great ,they're just too expensive for everyday cars with everyday work being done on them.
I save the best paint for my best work...and I havent worried about matching colors for twenty years thats the ez part...
I'm sorry but I call bs on this. I mix my own colors, so I KNOW its right. The pearls and a lot of toners in Nason are different than the others. You also must have never shot any new colors with Nason. Chryslers 3 stage inferno red CANNOT be mixed in nason. It is 2 stage in nason. Not even close in color! There are MULTIPLE colors like that (not just 3 stage). You cannot tint a color to match when the toners,pearls,and metalics are different. Sorry, just don't believe it. GMs Atomic Orange is another. I painted a 67 gto in that color in nason(owner wanted it). He loved it and the color looked good. But WAS NOT the same. Huge difference when you've got the 2 together. Fine for an all over, but there is no way anybody could have tinted the nason to blend factory paint. Just a fact.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

Hey, Dead, you say you get factory matches with nason where other painters can't tell, and that it pops just as good as the other manufacturers, right. So WHY won't you use it for high quality jobs if nobody can tell the difference. Looks like that would be a selling point. Cause EVERYBODY I know is wanting to save a buck.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

Cyclops, go have a sprayable pint of paint mixed up of either chromabase or Spies in that color code. Paint a test panel and clear, then take outside and tell us if they match and which one looks better.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.