Navigator Tune up any ford guys out there? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 AM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Navigator Tune up any ford guys out there?

Supposed to do a tune up on a 2001 Navigator with the 32v 5.4 in it, and got a quick question. Are the plugs and coil packs under what looks like a cover on top of the valve cover? Mitchel absolutely sucks I hate that program all it says is remove and reinstall plugs no pictures, and says charge 3hrs of labor. I need to know how in depth this is so I can give my buddy a price for this side job, and to know If i have enough time to dive into it tonight. thanks a ton Sean

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 07:10 AM
too many toys,not enough money

Last wiki edit: Garage heating Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 13

it's been a while, but i belive youre correct. i had a coil go bad in mine, i looked under the hood and only found 3 of what i thought were the plugs, took it to the dealer they said that was where they were and some are under the cab that hangs over the motor and you need a "special tool" to get to the back ones. Probably dealer talk for "we're gonna charge an arm & leg". but yes they are hidden good.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 AM
too many toys,not enough money

Last wiki edit: Garage heating Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 13

if i remember right kinda a funky roundish shape cover
Old 04-10-2008, 07:36 AM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

the cover i see looks like a long oval that has a few nuts holding that on top of the valve cover. I figured the back two would be barried under the dash like the f-250's we have in the fleet, but there not the the fancy 3 valve crap, and like I said Mitchel on Demand really is a waste of money and time trying to find any thing in it.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Auto Tech

Last journal entry: this car is for sale
Last photo:

don't even buy the tool to change the 3 valve motor plugs.you will regret it.the plugs have a pertruions that build up carbon so when you take'em out they brake.TSB on it.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Monte Carlo
don't even buy the tool to change the 3 valve motor plugs.you will regret it.the plugs have a pertruions that build up carbon so when you take'em out they brake.TSB on it.
Yep, not worth the chance. My son's been there, done that at his old shop. Send it to the dealer or someplace with really good insurance on ruined heads/engines.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

To get those 5.4 3V plugs out, you loosen them off untill they seem to get tight, and then soak them down with combustion chamber cleaner, and walk away for a while. Works very well, and I havent broken any for a while. Also, torque the plugs to Ford spec, as there is also a TSB for the plugs blowing out of the heads if not properly torqued.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:25 AM

Last journal entry: Adolessent J.R.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 c-10
Supposed to do a tune up on a 2001 Navigator with the 32v 5.4 in it, and got a quick question. Are the plugs and coil packs under what looks like a cover on top of the valve cover? Mitchel absolutely sucks I hate that program all it says is remove and reinstall plugs no pictures, and says charge 3hrs of labor. I need to know how in depth this is so I can give my buddy a price for this side job, and to know If i have enough time to dive into it tonight. thanks a ton Sean
__________________________________________________ ___________

Is the Engine light on? How many Miles on the car? Is it missfireing? Slugish?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:37 AM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

i did the tune up last night, they were not bad to get to all once the covers were off and with the right combination of extensions. Had not problems with them coming out or going in, it was missing and the MIL was on, all seems to be ok today tho, thanks for all the replies tho!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:10 AM

Sounds like you did okay, if the plugs came out and went back in with no problem. The aluminum heads and relatively short number of threads take some finesse to do the job right. On the Mustang forum they recommend setting the torque wrench to 25 ft lbs and never using more than that torque to remove a plug. They just keep soaking it with combustion cleaner until 25 ft lbs will break the plug free.

Another common failure/weakness is the coil on plug. Cracked rubber is a good indicator, but does not always cause failure. When they changed plugs on my 2000 Expedition I had them change all the coils with cracked insulation (3 out of 8) and each COP cost about $30-35. It was a fairly expensive tune-up.

Ford also has a TSB to check the COP on the right rear cylinder, because a leaking heater hose connection may leak directly on top of the COP and cause it to fail.

Bruce
Old 04-12-2008, 08:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Doing a tuneup on a Ford 5.4 two valve engine is not for the faint hearted. Besides often being stuck in the head with carbon, there have been many of these engines that have spit the plug out of the head, also messing up the threads - which means you have to spend a bunch to buy a kit or $1500 at your local Ford dealer for him to fix the head.

I'm glad to hear that you were successful. ( I can hardly wait to do my V10, 6.8 )
Old 04-14-2008, 06:35 AM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

we do the 2 valve 5.4 all the time here on our fleet, only had I think one, *knock on wood* that we had a problem with where we had to fix the threads, of course it was the farthest one back but hey, it happens. Had some were the intake cracks and coolant kills a coil or two. We always go ahead and replace the coil boots and clean the secondary and primary contacts on the coil packs. Some one told us, either a ford Tech or our Jasper rep that when removing plugs in those heads do it when there like 70 degrees, not cold and not hot and you should have minimal if any problems.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

The biggest thing with these is to take your time, and don't rush. If a plug is coming out hard, work at it, and don't force them. If you do, they will break and cause a world of grief. Rotunda just sent us a "new and improved" tool for removing the protrusion that remains in the head when the plug breaks. Have yet to use it, but I will in the near future, iI suspect.

The slightly warm comment was right on the money, it helps a lot.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.