Neat tip of the day July 24 2007 Removing glued on mouldings and weatherstrips. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,120 Posts
Neat tip of the day July 24 2007 Removing glued on mouldings and weatherstrips.

A while ago I learned such a neat trick, I just had to pass it on. Most of us have removed some sort of "adhesive" moulding or rubber weatherstrip. We will pull it off, scrape or cut off remainder of the adhesive tape and then use an "eraser wheel" or something to remove what is left. We do new Toyota Camrys for Toyota Motor comany on a regular basis that are damaged in shipment. The front bumpers are commonly replaced or repainted. They have this very rubber seal across the top to seal the hood that you see in the photos. We would pull them off tearing the darn thing all up leaving adhesive tape and torn up rubber on the bumper to remove with the eraser wheel. Then one day, one of the guys removed the bumper and it was in paint looking like it had never even had the darn rubber on it. I asked him how he did it, and a new way to remove items like this was introduced to me.

What you do is stretch it instead of pealing it off. The first photo shows how you would peel it, the second photo shows it being stretched. We now pull them off and if we had to they could be reused! The one in these photos was in perfect condtion and could have been reused (we never do, Toyota wants new ones) if we wanted. The harder you stretch, the better it works. Even hard plastic mouldings it works like magic. It isn't going to get every one of them off as clean as this, but it will work a lot better than peeling it that is for sure.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:

I don't know Brian, I'll try it very soon as w/s all around is imminent, but I have the feeling the last bozo to adhere the w/s on my truck used something really scary. I had to redo a bit around the driver door recently and it wasn't fun.

I'll give it a try, hope it is as you say. Thx 4 the tip,
Old 07-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Last photo:

The body side moldings on the new Vette's are removed with monofiliment.

Vince
Old 07-25-2007, 06:56 AM

Last photo:

302 is right on, I second the fishing line trick, I've used it for years for mouldings and emblems and it won't damage the paint. Piano wire also works well if you're carefull. Some of the metal backed mouldings can't be distorted/stretched or bend while removed so the piano wire or monofiliment works especially well in this situation. A spool of 20-50lb fishing line is cheap and lasts for years.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

I'm with you and the fishing line, my tip isn't for every moulding. But on the flexable ones, give it a try. Something like this rubber seal, it is so soft and flexable I don't think the piano wire would even work. With the stretching trick it comes off without a spec of the tape or rubber staying behind.

It will however of course not work at all on things like the Vette where the moulding is hard plastic.

Brian
Old 12-19-2013, 10:26 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

yeah, Martin. I love doing that trick on Toyota bumpers. So many times I've seen guys in the corner secretly trying to glue the rips back together or just tearing them apart.

There's also a little trick with cleaning up Ford Emblems( sticky stuff). Once you get the moulding off you roll the goop off instead of trying to rubber wheel it off. It will take forever that way cause it's so thick.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:55 PM

Last photo:

As you point out with the rolling of the goop (it is goop isn't it!) there are a lot of ways to get this stuff off. One trick may be worthless on some other material. Even age has a lot to do with it. I tried this stretching trick on an old Camry the other day and it didn't work worth a darn so adding the balling up the goop to the list of methods is a good idea.

Brian
Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
As you point out with the rolling of the goop (it is goop isn't it!) there are a lot of ways to get this stuff off. One trick may be worthless on some other material. Even age has a lot to do with it. I tried this stretching trick on an old Camry the other day and it didn't work worth a darn so adding the balling up the goop to the list of methods is a good idea.

Brian
very true about it being different when it's weathered. That trick with the ford truck emblem goop is the same way. If it's old then you better get out the rubber wheel, but always worth a shot.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Glad to see this..I have one piece of trim that is on crooked that bugs me no end..I want to take it off and put it back on straight..One of those sticky back deals..

Sam
Old 12-20-2013, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

I am surprised no body mentioned getting the panel warm before trying to remove the moulding. It helps the glue loosen up, and makes the moulding more flexible. If you want to reuse the moulding, store it flat.

Rubbing alcohol may be a good solvent to remove traces of glue left on the moulding.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

The problem is, heating may actually make this tip not work! As we are discussing on another thread there are a zillion different things you can do to remove mouldings, there is nothing carved in stone. This tip is just that, a tip, a possible way to remove a weatherstrip or moulding. It will sometimes work, and being it's so darn easy and doesn't damage anything you can give it a quick try and if it doesn't work go on to others...like heating the panel and part.

But of course, thanks for the interjection of an idea as it will be what the guy needs when he finds this thread.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.