Hot Rod Forum banner

need 53 stude help

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Deuce 
#1 ·
Looking at a new project. 53 Stude coupe. someone has grafted in a MII suspension. I have only seen pics, but it looks too narrow. Whats the track for the original 53 stude/ for the MII? Was this a good choice, or is the car ruined? How can I tell if it was done right? What does an MII do to the ride height? Obviously I know nothing about this car, and have never put an MII in anything. All help/opinions are appreciated.

#2 ·
As for track width,If it has the right rear end you can measure it.The ride hight depends on how they mounted the cross member in the frame and whether or not it has drop spindles.No I don't believe the car is ruined, there has to be a fix for it. We just need more info to help you make a plan.1 Does it have an engine and trans in it now? 2 Does it have wheels and tires on it? 3 If has these does it sit like you want it to and does the rear seem to be the right width? Answer these questions as best you can and we will try to steer you right. :thumbup:

#3 ·
Thanks speedy. Afraid I cant help much. the car is 3 states away, buried in snow. I know and trust the Seller, but he bought it as is and can't help much. don't know if the rear end is stock. No engine/trans. front sheet metal is off, etc. I have 2 pics I'll attach. Just dont like the way the MII looks too small, and the front horns are welded back on. But looking at the other pic, the wheels look to be about right. I heard you can put GM hubs on an MII and widen the stance? I guess if it isn't totally out of whack, drop spindles would fix the stance (I like em kind of low).
See anything in the pics?

Attachments

#6 ·

The tires sit out fairly close to the fender ... originally.
I would consider the front JUNK ... and go from there.

A front clip or another chassis would be my choice. Studebakers do not bring a lot of money in my area ... so a parts car would be easy.

ROCKY ( the seller of the 53 :D ) is a good guy ... and has other 53 Stude parts and pieces ... or did. :D

#8 ·
Looks like an excellent project to me, but as someone already said, I would plan on redoing the entire front end, and factor that into the purchase price.

The reason I say that is, from looking at the first pic, it appears that the frame rails have been spliced inwards to match the width of the Mustang II crossmember, and the front frame rails have been grafted back on in an offset.

If the front frame rails, horns, whatever you want to call them, have been butchered like that, it leads me to believe that the section of the frame rails behind the crossmember is probably no better.

It does not look like something I would like to have under the front of my ride.

But with all that said, I would still go for it, I love that body style.

Good luck

Karl

#9 ·
stude help

Rocky is a good guy, no question. His price is very fair, but i've made several calls and can't find a hood. He has about 1/3rd of a parts car also. could pull the frame from that and start over. It's about 2,000 miles round trip, so i was not going to get the extra car, but I may have to.
Karl, your reaction is like mine. It may be OK, but it looks like a hack job. Why would you intentionally design it like that?
Deuce, whoever gets the car is going to need a hood. got a source for 53 stude parts?

#10 ·

There are stub kits for the 53 Studebaker ...
In this case with the frame being so cut up/ messed up ... a stub may be a reasonable solution ...

I have a friend with 6 or 8 Studebaker " parts cars "
I could ask about a hood but shipping a big old Studebaker hood might be a problem.

#12 ·
oldguy829 said:
Shipping wouldn't be bad if "Deuceland" is near San Antonio. lol.

Seriously, see if he has one, and let me know where you are?
thanks, don
I am in the middle of NASCAR land ... :)
100 miles to Charlotte
100 miles to Myrtle Beach
200 miles to Atlanta ...

Will see my friend this Wednesday ... @ Lunch for all us ole rodders
We get together every Wednesday ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.