need advice about HOK dry pearls - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 05:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

need advice about HOK dry pearls

Hey everyone,
I'm gonna be painting my 00 civic with a dry pearl over HOK white base coat. I was wonder if I sould spray the dry pearl in my clear coat or what. I'm either getting blueberry, blue green, or sea green over the white like I said. I'm trying to go for a light blue or green.
Please helpp!
And if you can could you also tell me how much of each stuff I need so I don't buy more than enough. I'm only spraying my car and the lip of my rims. If need be I'll post a picture.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 07:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I use a intermix clear (I think its called) its like a clear base coat that dries quick when everything is even and looks right then use clear....its like a tri coat system.When you add the pearls to the clear and you get a run ,the pearls run too and theres no good way to fix it.The amount of pearl is up to you but to much will change the color your tring to get...
Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 AM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

Intermix clear gives the pearl a body so the pearl flakes are spread out evenly, I also would use that. You can mix it in your clear but you can have problems like Deadbodyman said but if you do, put another 2 coats of clear, no Pearl over top.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:25 AM

Last photo:

Good advice, also try and measure out how many grams of pearl you use VS the amount of intermix clear, then it's just a matter of remembering how many intermix coats you put on if you ever needed to repair a panel.

A little dry pearl goes a long ways, you might want to make some test panels to spray to perfect the amount, I would start off with a dash per pint of intermix, it really depends if you want a colored shimmer in the sun or have a heavy pearl effect.

HOK makes premixed pearl coats that lay out like base, that will go over white base nicely.

It's nice when you have to repaint a panel or two, I just redid a few damaged panels, ground effects, and rim inserts on this van with perfect color match, HOK Tangelo orange over HOK white
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep19_0004.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	43268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep19_0016.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	43269  

Last edited by cutterbond; 01-17-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Official Solventologist

Intercoat clear is the way to go. It makes the pearl so much easier to lay down even. PPG's DBC-500, HOK's SG-100, or these guys products are all good choices:

http://stores.ebay.com/TheCoatingSto...subZ1553781015

They make some nice pearls also. As far as pearls go I would recommend a xyrellic pearl escpecially over a white base. The xyrellic pearls will give you a nice clean white pearl effect without that dingy yellow you see sometimes on white tri-coats.

You can find the xyrellic pearls here.

http://stores.ebay.com/TheCoatingSto...subZ1553955015

They also have it in a premixed form already mixed with basecoat (intercoat clear).

http://stores.ebay.com/TheCoatingSto...+pearl+midcoat

Add shows only the white pearl xyrellic mix but they will mix whatever pearl you want in.

Good luck!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.