Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need Advice: Which Brake Setup to Buy
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need Advice: Which Brake Setup to Buy

I need some advice from y'all in the know:

I've got a Mustang II IFS on my 54 Chevy pickup, with 1982 Monte Carlo 11-inch front disc brakes. I went to put new brake pads on today and attempted to put new rotors, too, but came up with a problem ... the new rotors ('82-'88 Monte Carlo) were fatter than the calipers! The brake pads on the inside were okay, but on the outside, the pads were about 1/8-inch into the rotor! So I couldn't install the new rotors.

I don't get it.

Anyway, we just put the new pads on (with the old rotors) for now and left it at that. Now my braking is spongier than before, but it's okay. I'm thinking I'll buy a new rotor and brake kit from JEG'S or something and just replace the whole setup ... I'd like to do this ASAP.

Something isn't right with my present setup ... the left-front brake pad was worn in a wedge shape, like 1/4-inch more worn in the front of the pad than the back.

So ... can anyone direct me to the "best" setup to buy? How do I determine what to get -- is what I want to order just based on the Mustang II front end?

Thanks for your help.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Last edited by horvath; 08-26-2005 at 04:46 PM.