Need Advice on Engine Build Up - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 08:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Vortec heads are probably your best bang for the buck i picked mine for $480 brand new complete shipped to my door. But they can't handle above a .470 lift with STOCK springs, self-aligning rockers you need will cost you more than regular rockers, if you want to run roller-rockers you gotta machine them for guideplates. You can get different springs but after .5 lift the flow numbers on the vortecs go down..for around a 400hp build up have you considered World Sportsman II heads? good price, good performance matched with one of comp's XE grinds?

-eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Malibu Nut

From what the guy said who is gonna work on my car, he said I should easily push 400+
Old 03-26-2004, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

just because the heads are off a 375 HP 327, doent mean youve got 375 HP. the old fuelie heads were the hot ticket in there day, but there day has long passed.

The 375HP 327 was a great motor, but first off 375 HP was a gross rating, coulda been more, coulda been less. It was also a high compression high reving solid lifter cam motor, not a mild hydrulic cam like the H-266
Just for giggles I punched your plan into DD2000 & used the asumption that youll have 9.5:1 compression & heres what I came up with.
peak HP= 354HP @ 5500RPMs
peak TQ= 394 @ 4000 RPMs. actually not to bad of a combo considering that its gonna make good power & never rev past 5500 RPMs. John

Last edited by stepside454; 03-26-2004 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

... WHich means you'll be putting roughly 300hp to the wheels. I think you'll be surprized how fast the car is when you get it together! Don't worry about numbers. People fudge horsepower ratings all day long, I would just build the motor you want to build and be done with it. You have a nice setup, and I promise you you will like it and you will beat almost anything on the road.

K
Old 03-26-2004, 10:32 AM

with that setup you will be lucky to see 300hp let alone 450. plus a kid your age shouldnt have 300 hp.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

wow
Old 03-26-2004, 10:51 AM

i can't overemphasize this enough. i dont wanna be driving down some road and have some kid full of piss and vinegar try to race me and every other car on the road with 300 hp under his hood. too much too young. learn on a real slow car.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:53 AM

I agree with killerformula. Build the best engine you can given your budget and you'll be happy. Just remember it is your first engine build and you'll learn a lot a long the way so you can build a higher hp eng the second go around. If you're anything like me you can't get enough power. Don't get stuck on the numbers as you'll only be disappointed.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

You need to go with a set of Dart 180's or WP SR's. Get a good Holley and a Victor intake with a solid flat tappet cam. This will get you the power you want.

Chris
Old 03-26-2004, 08:11 PM

Just put a SMALL hp shot of nitrous on it (100-150). That should get u to where you want to be and keep it drivalbe if you're taking it too and from school. Your dad will get tired of givin you gas money if u try gettin 450hp all motor out of it, trust me, i have a 383 s-10 that's puttin down about 500 right now (it's all roller with an eagle competition assembly). But it is the most fun vehicle I've ever had, and it's about the only thing that will keep up/outrun these mustangs around town.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:16 PM
you talkin to me?

im going to go ahead and say i agree with big block bill i dont like some kid just learning how to drive flying around in a 300 hp car.
and i sure as he*^ wouldnt tell some 16 year old that 300 isnt enough throw a shot of nos on it.
my first car was the slowest thing i ever drove and i still almost killed myself on numerous occasions
Old 03-26-2004, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

Bad I do understand the concern. My first car was a slug 2 barrel 307 powered camaro. Hopefully he will have enough sense not to get stupid with it. I know there are zillions of horror storys about kids doing stupid crap in cars. but there are a few exceptions. Hopefully hes one of the exceptions. John
Old 03-26-2004, 09:12 PM
you talkin to me?

any kid with a big motor has no sense. you dont want a big high horsepower motor just so you can say you have a big hp motor.
i will take alot of slack on my response and i wont change my way of thinking. a 16 year old kid shouldnt have 300+ hp.
when my kid gets his first car it will be a 75 eldorado with a 2 hp briggs and stratton motor in it.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:12 AM

Last photo:

Bad , I think it depends alot on the kid. for one thing a car that is to slow can be as dangerous.my first car was a total turd. When I was 17 I was driven a 73 Camaro with a 402 Big Block in it that ran high 8s in the 1/8. but see thats the thing, I never street raced. well I did couple times with the slow car & realized how dumb it is. John
Old 03-27-2004, 12:21 PM

how about we just give helpful hints on how to increase horsepower like the kid asked and let HIS father decide how much is too much, i'm only 18 myself, and don't care for street racing, it's dumb. All i'm saying is that if he's shooting for 450hp, he could get there the cheapest way by putting nitrous on it, not nos, nitrous. i hate what the fast and the furious has done with today's hotrodding terms.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.