Need Advice on Engine Build Up - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally posted by radracer43
how about we just give helpful hints on how to increase horsepower like the kid asked and let HIS father decide how much is too much, i'm only 18 myself, and don't care for street racing, it's dumb. All i'm saying is that if he's shooting for 450hp, he could get there the cheapest way by putting nitrous on it, not nos, nitrous. i hate what the fast and the furious has done with today's hotrodding terms.
Amen to that.

K

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally posted by MyMalibu
How can it not be pushing 400+ HP. If you have 375 Fueled heads
that will put me right at 375 then plus the extras it should be pushing around 425-450 HP.
remember; its not a ricer, therfore the extras dont give you that much more power.

Mike
Old 03-28-2004, 03:43 PM
you talkin to me?

Wiki Edits: 0

this is the last time i will post on this subject you can all thank me for that later.
you say it is his dad's choice how much hp a kid can have?
what about the old lady with her grandkids some punk kid kills because his dad decideded he could handle 400 hp?? or the little kid crossing the street that gets hit because he thought it would be cool to show off all this power?
they dont get to decide. i say you get your horsepower when your old enough to race at the track till then you dont need it and shouldnt have it.
nuff said.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:59 PM

Last photo:

I was racing @ the track when I was 16.my friends son who is 16 also races his car at the track. he has a pretty quick 97 Camaro, hes almost 17 now, hasnt had a ticket yet, ,I know most of the hotrodders in the area, he doesnt play stupid on the street.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Malibu Nut

Thanks for all the info I am just saying the guy is is working on my 350 said with the setup we might go with should push over 400 HP. I am not really worried about horsepower, I just want it to be relatively quick. I wanted to run low 8s, but I ain't stupid I will never street race or show off. I have drove my Malibu for over a year, the 305 isn't all that bad now with the carb & intake but its not all that. However, over the last couple of days its been running a whole lot stronger I can burn the tires off. My dad and I took it across the interstate near my house, and lit 'em up and got sideways and just about lost it, so maybe I don't need 400 just somewhere near it.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:16 PM
you talkin to me?

ok so im wrong it isn't you we should worry about its your father.
400 horses won't get you in the 8's you will probably be in the 12's.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:22 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

8's is possible....if you slap a 28-35psi turbo on that motor. hey it worked on this 2.0 cavalier engine i saw in a super chevy magazine.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:25 PM
you talkin to me?

a 400 hp high compression motor wouldn't last 10 mintues with 35 pounds of boost.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:27 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

maybe i should of read all of the specs :x
Old 03-28-2004, 08:29 PM
you talkin to me?

don't worry about it. i know what you mean.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:52 PM
BRB carring

Last photo:

my buddy just finished his 5.0l mustang. around 300hp to the flywheel. that thing is very fast and very easy to lose control in. i think i drive pretty responsible for someone my age. i have a lot of friend how take too many stupid chances and one of these days one of them is gonna get hurt. its fun to go crazy once and a while but you have to know when and how to properly do it.
1992 Dodge Shadow
1986 S-10 Blazer 4x4 Hot Rod
1970 Chevelle
1966 Chevelle 4 door
Home Made Go Cart
-----------------------------------------
Old 03-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Malibu Nut

Thanks for the advice I don't plan on getting to crazy, except maybe on straight stretches. And its really not me thats crazy my dad loves speed he has told me stories about his driving its pretty wild, but I won't act like he did I'll kill myself if I do.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:02 PM

I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in. I just got my SBC 350 off the dyno stand (engine mount not chassis) I'm running 10:1 on pump gas and managed 370 hp and 460 ft-lbs of torque. I'm pleased with this. Will be dropping it into a mountain of steel ('73 Impala) and we'll see if I can make 13's with it.

I went the vortec route, with the coated speed pro flatops, and a dual plane setup. I pretty much just looked at all the reciepe builds in the engine mags, asked lots of dumb questions here and at the machine shop, and bought parts as I decided they were right.

So the best advice I can give, is read, listen, don't overlook the assembly details (I've done that and ended up building this thing 2 x's before it could go in the car) and once you've decided what you're going to build, stay with it and see if it does what you expected. There are a number of factors that make a car move fast, only one of which is the engine.

HP and Torque are only fun if you can use them. Will the tires hook? Where are your shift points going to be set? What ratio are you going to use in the rear? Are all the bushings and mounts in good order? even in a straight line, run, these things combined can change times more than you may think.

Good luck and have fun. And as has been stated, use the power on the track, your brains on the street
Old 04-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Broke

Good luck with the engine, i am hoping to do something like what your doing this summer too.
Why do most people have this idea that no teenager can handle anything over 200 horsepower? Yes, I see on the news ALL the time, highschool kids getting killed behind the wheel, but 8 out of 10 times, alcohol and /or drugs were involved. Most of the other times street racing was involved too.....
Sure, maybe 500 horsepower is pushing it for your first car, but if you can build a 400 HP motor for your car, i would probably guess that your at least somewhat responsible....its the rice burners who take their hondas to the import speed shops, say 'heres 10k, i want it to be as fast as possible', then take it out and think that its gonna be the hottest thing on the street, and the safest and can handle all sorts of stuff........those are the ones that you have to be careful with.....cause they dont know their limits most of the time.....
Plus, if you build your own car, i think you'd have alot more pride in it and love it enough that you wouldnt risk it doing stupid stuff, while if you get a 92 Caviler, you probably dont care if it gets dented or the rear bumper gets knocked off.....know what i mean?
Old 04-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Malibu Nut

Yeah thats the truth people think since I am 16 I am not responsible, and will get myself killed. Also when others take their imports to have them built they don't have as much respect as I do for my car considering me an my dad will be doing most of the work.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.