Need Advice on Engine Build Up - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2004, 12:12 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

375 "FUELED" heads?

I myself am not exactly certain what these heads are but it is very possible they are "fuelie" heads I think like new style vortec heads. I happen to know from flow bench testing that some of the vortec heads available today flow better unported with a good valve job than the old dart sportsmans did back in the day. I have had lots of Iron heads and have played alot with small chevy motors and can testify to the very real potential to make nearly 500 hp and more, YES I said MORE torque. It is very possible to make more torque than horse power you are correct that both are linked mathematically but it is work divided by time that dictates horse power at 5250 rpm torque and horsepower are equal so tell me what happens when you have a motor that makes 490 ft/lbs of torque but only 325 hp. If you know what I'm talking about ,..........or better yet what you are talking about this came from the factory. there are plenty of motors that produce torque without making a lot of hp. and the 375 bit I don't believe that your going the find a magic 375 hp in those heads to start adding after market power to. It really doesn't work that way! If your friend owns a machine shop and can only manage to run 10.20's that might make him an authority in your unexperienced eyes but I could name handfuls of guys who run low 9's straight motor street trim! Don't get me wrong, 10.20's is fast and if he's that capable he should know what he's doing to help you! I think the best advise anyone can give you is to do the researche and when you know why and how it will work you won't have to worry about what will work. Good luck and if nothing eles enjoy your father son project!

Advertisement

Last edited by BIGSHOOTER; 11-19-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 03:03 PM

Not to mention plenty of machine shop guys don't know much about what they are doing even though they know how to do it.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Malibu Nut

Man I started this post a long time ago and its still going. Well since then, I don't know if I mentioned it I got another Malibu a 1980 with a 350 in it. Also I have 3 350 (two complete, one has 333882s and the other 462624 on it and the other one is just a block), 2 305 (one that's in my '78 and one that's complete minus a carb., 1 307 (doesn't have heads,intake, or carb.) So what do y'all think I have a little stable of motors going 6 of them (found 3 of them in my uncles barn. Also there is a 1964 Malibu SS 327 motor down there but I can't have it (how much Hp does it have). Is building a 307 ok or stupid. I have gotten a little smarter but for some reason I want to stick with a GM head (double hump more than likely) not aftermarket and if I do it will be last resort, and I'll probably get Vortec heads. How good are those 882s, 624s, and those 305 heads. I would say I have enough junk to through 3 or 4 motors together, but who knows I am only 17, and gotten a little wiser except for showing off what my little 305 can do, go ahead and laugh. Its fun driving it, it's pretty torquey. I have done a couple of donuts and roasted the tires, but last month my crazy damn dad adjusted the passing gear and who knows what else, so it will like passing gear will kick in at 60 and not shift to 3rd to about 90-95. You probably think I am full of it but my 305 has outrun a 1972 Ford Truck with 390 4bbl from a 40 punch and a 2001 Camaro SS from a 55 punch. No joke I swear on a stack of Bibles.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:26 PM

Lots of stuff to play with!

It sounds like you have a lot of stuff to work with, first off those 882's are a smog head and have 74-78cc chambers you don't want to waste time using those heads on a performance build the resulting low compression will be a big dissapointment. Stick with the vortec heads I also work in a machine shop and have a great many years of experience. The truth of it is that if you want the low down on the best combination possible you need to evaluate your driving habits. desiding the operating range for your motor will dictate cam profile, and intake design. As for the rest of your pump build a 406 (.030" 400 sbc), and for real value pick up a set of aftermarket heads Dart Pro 1's are my personal choice. keep the compression ratio under 10.5:1 or (11.5:1 with aluminium heads). use a good forged flat top piston with and use the 5.7 chevy 350 rods a good set of "pink" rods if prepaired propperly and fitted with arp bolts will live, you may find the expense of buying and prep justifys a set of eagle or probe rods but it's up to you and how much power you want to make I can give you maore details if you need!
Old 11-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Malibu Nut

Um what about some double humps. A guy told us we could take some of those and have them reworked and a 3 angle valve job, and it would work out pretty good. Me and my dad tore down the top half of that 350 we got and the inside is in great shape but the outside is rusted. I am planning on buying that 69-80 350 kit from Northern Auto Parts with all performance add ons double roller timing chain, 270 Comp Cam, Comp Lifters, Hypereutectic F/T pistons, etcfor under $400 is it worth it. He said we should acheive anywhere between 325-375 HP maybe more, maybe less. Could you like list all parts that I would need to build a hotrod and tell how much HP if I had double humps or if we went with vortec and tell me approx. the difference in HP. Thanks for all the comments I really need lots of opinions since y'all have done this before this is my first motor and I want it to be great b/c half the money is coming out of my pocket.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:22 PM

double hump heads are fairly classic w/making hp, but if im not mistaken, i think that they do not have bolt holes for accessories. if you're goin to go through the process of finding and even acquiring a pair of these, you'll probably be able to get a new set of heads w/the same combustion chamber volume and even better flow numbers. keep in mind that heads today are made almost entirely with computers and millions of dollars in research. a "cheap" head i've heard good things about is the world sportsman II. that seems to be a head close to ur application. i think it runs around 450/head (900 a pair) with springs, valves and everything ready to bolt on (dont think it has a 3-angle job tho). it would probably cost this much when buying ur used heads, machine work, springs, valves, etc. plus it saves a ton of time. ur doing the right thing so far though, asking around. do as much of that as you can before setting out ur money. remember though that you can easily spend thousands making hp, just set your sights on one goal and stick to it.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:50 PM

heads

actually All "double hump heads for use after 1968 come with accesory bolt holes but the truth is new heads are cheeper in the lone run as far as bang for buck goes if that is the way you want to go try either of the 186,462. or 291 heads all are small chamber and respond well tto minor bowl work and a good valve job.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.